Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here is the scoop I want to learn some Van Halen tunes. Now before we totally bash my playing I literally learned these two parts like 2 mins before recording this. I was basically just tweaking and turning knobs till it sounded somewhat close..

Ok here is the info on the rig..

15 yr old Carvin
PODxt (5150mkII Model)
Audacity for OSX

I went to peaveys site and downloaded the manual for the 5150 head to get some background on the amp itself. In the manual they claim this is the settings for the "EVH" tone. So I set the pod up just like it.

Is it fairly close? What does it seem to be lacking? What does it have to much of?

I promise I will practice more once I dial in the tone LOL....

http://www.ibanezcollectorboxes.com/EVH.mp3

The image below I have all the effects on you can turn them on or off depending on the song..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Getting there, but a bit too much gain and a bit too toppy, IMHO. As you're probably aware, EVH is one of the hardest players to sound like, especially with any modelling software, etc, I would think. Because he usually uses a valve head running really hot he gets lots of sustain with not as much gain as you'd think. But that's almost impossible to copy that digitally. Good effort though.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Chris777 said:
Try modeling a marshall plexi or 2203. I think EVH was using marshalls when he recorded those specific tones.
You might be able to shape an AC30 tone to be close too. My AC30 actually didn't sound too far off Panama when I had the ceramic magnet gibson pickups still in the Les Paul...

·
Registered
711 Posts
back off on the gain a touch, you don't want the sound to be too distorted. a good site to go to for eddie's tone is jfrocks.com. read up on a bunch of stuff there. jeff knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
711 Posts
gmeanie said:
you also need some delay but I am sure everyone will say no LOL
if you wanna play cathedral. lol. eddie does use alot, i mean ALOT of reverb. so if you're going for the early, vh, wacf sounds, crank up the 'verb!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts