Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning on replacing my bridge pickup with an Evo2, TZ or possibly a TZ with the EVH mod. I currently have a regular Evo in my Jem77fp, but it seems to be too hot.

I would like to dial in smooth lead tones such as Ron Thal/Bumblefoot (Uses TZ), Mr. Vai, Satch, Petrucci, EVH, Friedman, and Gilbert, but at the same time be able to harness the distorted chunkiness of Death, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, etc.; the average ol' metal band!
Hell, while we're at it, cleaner tones like Steve Morse would be nice as well haha.

What are the pros and cons of each compared to each other? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Nordhauser

Edit: My Pickup Configuration

Neck: DiMarzio Evolution
Mid: DiMarzio Jem Single Coil
Birdge: DiMarziio Evolution

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't speak for the Evo2 but comparing the original and TTZ, they are pretty different animals. If i had to have a compromise between the two, I'd say the Norton fits the bill. NNNNNNNasty pickup without all the heat.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i would still like a hot pickup. Just not the original Evo. I hear that the EVH modded TZ is similar to the Norton though which seems somewhat appealing; however, there seem to be many pros and cons to that.

Do you think it's blasphemy to put anything but PAF Pros or any sort of Evo in a Jem? ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I don't know a lot but I do know if you life the tone of the Evo's then Evo II would be the right thing, because obvoisuly they are similar but Evo II, when compared to Evo, has a mellower tone, slightley less agressive, but similar qualities, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've heard that too. I love my neck Evo. It's perfect. The bridge Evo is great when there's no feedback (which is rarely ever). I should probably get it looked at. Anyway, I can picture (or hear, rather) the Evo 2 in my head and it sounds nice; however, I would like to actually hear it! ;)
I understand the modifcations made from the Evo 1, and it leads me to believe that the Evo 2 is still great for those searing shred-metal tones. It would be nice to get some feedback from someone who has used it or compared the two. Anyway, thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Nordhauser

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't get me wrong by my statement about the Norton. Its definately a beefy pickup, on par with TTZ. It's pretty much like TTZ with a wicked lead sting, and a distinctive voice. It also feels more fluidlike. It could have an Evo vibe but with a little more riffy rock sensibility. It WILL give you alot of what you're looking for.

I tried that TTZ mod as well, I thought it made the pickup sound dead. That's just my opinion, amps, fx, whatever though. I certainly wouldn't tear up a new pickup just to try it out.

Lets just say that if i had a basswood axe I was looking to drop something in for an all around 80's shred/riff machine, the Norton is the first place I would go. Way underrated pickup.

Mike

·
Registered
500 Posts
TheToneZone said:
the Norton is the first place I would go. Way underrated pickup.
+1 It's a really versatile bridge pickup. It's got lots of mids but is not too-too hot (it's 350mV). You can get a lot of different tones out of it by adjusting your EQ. Imagine the tone of Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, and early Vai all mixed into one pickup. That's the best way of describing the Norton, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Really, it's your amp that's going to determine whether or not you can get the kind of tones you REALLY want...the pickups just help it along the way. I would say to check out the Air Zone or maybe even the D-Sonic with the blade facing the bridge because i've heard some very good things about it installed this way REGARDLESS of your tuning.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
put a breed in it. the breed is like the TZ as far as EQ goes, and it is still a Vai pickup. since you have a floral, you might look into getting the super3. it looks just like an evo and those are freaking phenomenal in basswood.

rich

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a BFP with a TZ in the bridge, Paf Pro in the neck and it is my fav player. Unfortunatly the Frets need to be changed out. Getting that done in Feb.

I have a VWH and the EVO's are, in my opinion, a Lead pickup. I never liked playing it for any rhythm parts. 2 of my RG's have the TZ in the bridge and 1 has a breed in the bridge. I really dislike the Breed. I don't know how anyone can say it is like the TZ. It's not even close.

I play high gain prog Rock/ Metal and I just can't get the sustain or clarity I'm after with the Breed. I was recommened the Breed and the Norton by Dimarzio. I should have tried the Norton.

The Guitar is an RG540. Basswood, Front routed, Varnised Maple fretboard like a strat. Pickups are mounted in the pickguard like the VWH.

Now my fav RG player is my RG520. Mahogany, Rosewood board. TZ in bridge and Air Norton in neck. Plays like a dream. I've started to not like the Air Norton any more. I think the Paf Pro or even the Paf Joe might just be the perfect combination with the TZ.

Also, don't be afraid to try some of the Seymour Duncans if they are withing your price range.

Sanchez

·
Banned
451 Posts
Nordhauser said:
I am planning on replacing my bridge pickup with an Evo2, TZ or possibly a TZ with the EVH mod. I currently have a regular Evo in my Jem77fp, but it seems to be too hot.

I would like to dial in smooth lead tones such as Ron Thal/Bumblefoot (Uses TZ), Mr. Vai, Satch, Petrucci, EVH, Friedman, and Gilbert, but at the same time be able to harness the distorted chunkiness of Death, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, etc.; the average ol' metal band!
Hell, while we're at it, cleaner tones like Steve Morse would be nice as well haha.

What are the pros and cons of each compared to each other? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Nordhauser

Edit: My Pickup Configuration

Neck: DiMarzio Evolution
Mid: DiMarzio Jem Single Coil
Birdge: DiMarziio Evolution
the modded TZ is very close to the stock version in that it is still plenty mean but has a better clean tone and not so much bass
the stock TZ is a great pup and many of the guys you listed use one(paul Gilbert,thal,john used one on images and words)
you may really dig the air zone?
this pup is a vintage version of the TZ
it is mean but can go clean
i use one for everything from classic rock to extreme metal(i use a 5150 amp)
the modded tone zone is just a TZ with less bass and output.
what i would do is try the TZ and air zone and if you feel like you need something dead in the middle of those two the modded TZ is the one.
the EVO 2 is a great pup but does not really do the gilbert,thal,satch,EVH tones very well(the TZ ,air zone and modded TZ will)
the norton is another pup that will cover these bases but is not as fat as the TZ,air zone or EVH TZ)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.