Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll
I'd like to know who here has a guitar with a mahogany body and has Evolution pups on it (Bridge or Neck). I'd like to know how does it sound like.
I've just bought a RG3120 prestige, and it has a mahogany body, with a flamed maple top and it comes stock with a PAF PRO and a TONEZONEBut i'm thinking about putting EVOS 'se i'm more into VAI sound.

People say that the evo is a little Trebbly, but i think it won't be that trebly in a mahogany bodied guitar. What your opinion?

i want a fat and full sound i9n bridge and neck, and i don't like to hear the pick atack (tec tec) does the EVO hides this sound more than other pups?
[]'s

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I'll elaborate more after lunch, but i'll start with this much- I don't like mahogany, but an EVO7 in my 2027 almost made it bearable. Thick, sustaining, "screaming" lead tone. cuts beautifully. highly recommended (and Vai's "lacewood" is outfitted this way, and it was enough to convert rich harris, so... ;))

-Drew

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I would think that Evo's would work very well with mahogany. I am led to believe that the mahogany would warm it up a bit, yet still have the highs that Evo's characteristically have.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you go through with the mod, be sure and post back the results! I have several mahogany guitars with the PAF Pro/TZ combination, and while I really like that setup, I'm also looking for a little more variety, so I'm considering switching one of them to Evos.

--B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok fella!
i'll post a Review here.. but look at the dimarzio's answer:
Steve's tone and attack come from his touch as much as from the pickups. The Evo bridge model is actually brighter-sounding than the Tone Zone, not fatter. However, the Evolution neck model (DP158F) is warmer-sounding than the PAF Pro, and you might find it more to your taste. Other neck position suggestions are the Breed neck model (DP165F) and the Air Norton (DP193F).

I think i'll let my Tone Zone in place and change the PAF! heheheh

After i'll test a Evo in Bridge..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Leandro! BLZ?
Cara, ainda não, mas jah estou fuçando pra ver se alguem aqui me dá uma resposta hehehe, mas depois da resposta da dimarzio acho que irei de Tz (BRidge) e Evo(Neck)
Abraço!

·
Registered
440 Posts
RBFREIRE said:
Hi Leandro! BLZ?
Cara, ainda não, mas jah estou fuçando pra ver se alguem aqui me dá uma resposta hehehe, mas depois da resposta da dimarzio acho que irei de Tz (BRidge) e Evo(Neck)
Abraço!
Uma coisa que tu deve saber é que o TZ fica bem grave pra tocar bases e cleans ,tu não vai correr o risco de ter um pickup no neck mais alto que o pickup da ponte em se tratando de situações sem distorção. Mas pra tocar solos e melodias com o Zone, pode talvez ficar um pouco grave pro seu gosto.

Tu tem que pegar a guitarra e experimentar, só depois concluir se troca ou não.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Try and keep it in English please guys. If you want to chat in Portuguese then please PM/email it. Muito obrigado (thanks).

As an aside...
I have Steve's Special and Air Norton in my mahogany Jem and they sound great!!

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
367 Posts
cerealk said:
Try and keep it in English please guys. If you want to chat in Portuguese then please PM/email it. Muito obrigado (thanks).
Would that be the Queens English, or just plain US bastardised English? ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
Either will do for me, I'm Oop Narth but Simon's a posh Londoner so he might have higher standards ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
jono said:
Either will do for me, I'm Oop Narth but Simon's a posh Londoner so he might have higher standards ;)
Weell, be'in a Green Card carry'in Scot, ah canna undersand much of it onyway, ya ken? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
jono said:
I am not a Londoner!!!

I am from Bristol in the west of England and just live in London :D

Any English is good ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
jlh

According to the Dimarzio website, the Evo and FRED look pretty similar except for output (400mv vs. 300mv.) The eq is the same wiith the Evo being bumped up one notch in bass, mid and treble. Both seem to have tight bass, clean sound and are good for soloing. The reason I point this out is that I loved the FRED I had, but my only complaint was the relatively low output. Is this a fair comparison? Are there any other big differences between the two?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts