Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thought just occured, i was browsing through some internet sites and saw the Fender EVH Frankenmess pos selling for 25k.

Now people will buy this guitar because its synonomous with Eddie and was his most famous guitar.

Evo is to Vai in the same way i think, so the question is, can anyone see Vai doing a similar thing in the future? i.e. a small run of battered looking jems to look like evo?

Even more so, who'd pay $25,000 to get one :lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I dont know,jemmers seem to like nice shiney guitars,though if it was collectable who knows,it would have to be a smaller run than other limited jems.My jem looks pretty similar to Evo already! :p

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
A thought just occured, i was browsing through some internet sites and saw the Fender EVH Frankenmess pos selling for 25k.

Now people will buy this guitar because its synonomous with Eddie and was his most famous guitar.

Evo is to Vai in the same way i think, so the question is, can anyone see Vai doing a similar thing in the future? i.e. a small run of battered looking jems to look like evo?

Even more so, who'd pay $25,000 to get one :lol:
Although I think it would be a great idea, I simply don't see Ibanez making Evo replicas and selling them for 25K a piece, or somewhere in the neighborhood of. Some of the reasons why are:

1. Ibanez already produced a guitar that carried more of Steve in it than the Frankenstrat replica Fender did; it was called the Jem 2KDNA and its price was 5 times less that EVH's "Frankenstrat".

2. As much as I hate saying this, I'm going to say it because that's just how a lot of people see it (not me).... Although Steve is an incredible guitar player and can smoke EVH any day with his eyes closed, the fact remains that most people will recognize the name Eddie Van Halen because of the band and all the hits, while only a select crowd (people like us that have guitars embedded in our brains) will recognize the name Steve Vai and his accomplishments he's had along with his successful career as a solo artist, so the demand won't be there from a business standpoint.

I doubt it. The unique thing about Eddies guitar is that he put it together by hand.
That's actually a very small part of the reason why that guitar is unique. The biggest reason why is because that guitar was present throughout most of the history of the band and Eddie probably used that guitar to record a lot of the VH hits we all have enjoyed.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
711 Posts
i would love to see a proper Green Meanie replica,one that looks knackered,with the stickers and the carved out horn,that would be cool to buy,the start of the Jems...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . . the fact remains that most people will recognize the name Eddie Van Halen because of the band and all the hits, while only a select crowd (people like us that have guitars embedded in our brains) will recognize the name Steve Vai and his accomplishments he's had along with his successful career as a solo artist, so the demand won't be there from a business standpoint.
Absolutely right. Unfortunately, talent doesn't necessarily lead to fame. Vai played for Frank Zappa, David Lee Roth, and Whitesnake, and they're all more famous. That's why a Blackie or Frankenstrat replica will sell for $25,000 but an EVO replica won't.

Have any of you read _Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument_ by Allen St. John? The first few pages tell a story that reveals just how insane the situation is. Read about how a rich man paid $100,000 to buy his daughter a guitar that Clapton had played and complimented.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hmm who was the original singer of Van halen

David lee roth.

Basically Vai replaced eddie. (and he's hell of a lot better)

A evo would sell but only to a collected few. Plus Steves kept all his evos pretty stock (no real huge work done to them)

Why would you buy a replica for 25,000 when you could get the original for a grand on the bay.

The worse is how much 59 and 58 Les pauls are. They're over 100,000 now a days and only because they're the "holy grail" les paul. All though after 50 years the paints cracked (yeah nitro paint), the necks probably warped (one piece mahogany), and the electronics would blow (old caps)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts