Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Why do you want to swap pickups? Are you unhappy with the Evo's? If so why? If you are after a different sound, how 'bout some examples?

We need more info to give you informed opinions. :)

Rock on!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, the EVO'os are decent. I guess I just want to try a different sound. But I'm not yet sure what kind. :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have decided not to change the pickups. I have a VOX AD30VT. I'd love to have a small stack, though. Any good all-tube 15-30W heads out there? I mostly play Satch, Vai, Petrucci, Pink Floyd etc. An amp for classic rock, hard rock and metal would do the thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would suggest giving your budget or you'll have 3/4 of a forum writing "Triaxis" and "Axe-FX" as an answer.... which is useless if you cannot afford them...

If you play a lot of Satch you cannot get closer to his sound than having a Mini Colossal... but that's 5W. People like the Vox AC30 but by God its bright for my ears.

or a Stiletto Deuce or Lonestar...

Can't think of anymore but I'm dead tired -.-

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest giving your budget or you'll have 3/4 of a forum writing "Triaxis" and "Axe-FX" as an answer.... which is useless if you cannot afford them...
True. Well let's say around 2,000 dollars. Maybe something a little more powerful than '15-30W' for small gigs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would reccomend a peavey classic 50. Its a 50w 212 all tube combo and is what satch based his crunch channel on. Try one out! plus fairly easy to maintain and easy on the wallet

·
Registered
33 Posts
sorry i missed the HEAD part. ummm a carvin head would be good. x100b leagacy or v3 are good. plus they have a head version of vintage 50w. very cool sounding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I was looking into Marshall DSL401 recently. How are those? I suppose using it with a pedal could work. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Air Norton in neck + Tonezone or D-Sonic in bridge is a popular set. You should try it.
That´s true. In Music Man EVH signature there´s EVH`s designed PU`s, and they are pretty close that combination. Sound is very good. Also pickups are screwed straight into body - a good thing.
I have Jem 90HAM, and i changed bridge pickup into DiMarzio´s Super Distortion, because EVO´s sound was quite thin. Now SD sounds a LOT more heavier and darker, but it is not so hot anymore, that original crispy sound is gone. I was talking about this problem with Shep from Sheptone, and he will build pair of custom-made humbuckers for me with about 5 tremble, 6 of middle and 8 of bass. Sound is very hot with lot of output (around 540-600mv.) Lets see what happens...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts