Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gents,

about a week and a half ago I met up with Rich from Ibanezrules and bought a second stock Jem 7vP Premium with the intent to make it an evo relic. Reason being- it had an impact on my adolescence learning guitar and I don’t have $14k to drop on the Sugi made Ibanez replica (which the last one on Reverb sold for!). I figured id try to make it as accurate as possible since I’m doing it on my own- including the yellowed finish that the Ibanez replicas didn’t accurately reproduce, and probably for good reason. It’ll mostly hang on my wall but once in a while I’ll pull it down and jam out to tender surrender for old times sake.

With an xacto knife, a couple of blunt objects and some pokey things, I set to work over the course of a few days meticulously trying to replicate each evident scratch, crack and bruise. I think I got about 85% to ‘perfection’. The neck crack could have been done slightly better, but it was hard to get in there

this project is still coming together, and if anyone’s interested I’ll post updates along as they come. I’m waiting on a special silver strap, black edge, and I need to find someone to make a decal for me for the EVO sharpie writing scan I’ve got.

all in all it should be stupid similar to the original, or at least the replicas.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The edge was swapped for a lo pro on Rich’s end as this lo pro will be used for an another project that is en route which I’ll post about eventually ;)

It almost hurt once I saw how pretty it looked but up close the paint job was actually not great so I ended up going through with it. I replaced the guard with a genuine Ibanez pickguard pre 2003, as the premium guard shape is very off.

Here’s a quick mock-up w a spare edge j had lying around

Relic’ing begins

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my intuition that the paint on the Indonesian premiums being different than the Japanese 7v counterparts was correct. In my adolescence I had left an old white Indonesian rg350 in the sun on a summers day and it yellowed the guard and surprisingly the body a bit

I left it out yesterday and today and it turns out, thanks to the strong pre summer sun, it is slowly but surely yellowing.

Attached underneath is a mock-up on photoshop of the end result after the paint yellows and final assembly with the correct hardware.

Updates to come in chunks as they happen, there isn’t much left to do but wait!

i put the mockups on Facebook and it got a like from Mr. Sugi himself, which was pretty cool

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Ouch! That would be so hard to do that to a guitar of that level! For me anyway... Amazing job though! So many "relic'd" guitars are just so blatantly phony looking, so obvious even to the casual observer. Like blue jeans in the store that have holes in the knees already, lol... You should do a video of a Vai cover with it when finished. 👍

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch! That would be so hard to do that to a guitar of that level! For me anyway... Amazing job though! So many "relic'd" guitars are just so blatantly phony looking, so obvious even to the casual observer. Like blue jeans in the store that have holes in the knees already, lol... You should do a video of a Vai cover with it when finished. 👍

It was a second stock due to a finish blem on the front anyway, the paint job wasn’t great so overall I didn’t feel bad.

I think I’ll do one eventually. The other ones on my ‘secret’ YouTube cover channel have all been really well received.

The real reason I did this is cos a friend of mine is building each of us a true to life FLO replica out of square heel bodies, so I needed an evo to complete the collection.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice work
I'm not generally a fan of relicing but that definitely looks good and qualifies as a work of art!

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
all in all it should be stupid
Yep, you said it ;)

I cannot get behind this in any way shape or form... But personal opinion on that aside, objectively, you've done a great job in replicating the relic that sells for 10 times the initial value of this one.

and it's still probably better than either the torched JEM777DY or the mutilated "Hulk" UV7BK from years ago.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, you said it ;)

I cannot get behind this in any way shape or form... But personal opinion on that aside, objectively, you've done a great job in replicating the relic that sells for 10 times the initial value of this one.

and it's still probably better than either the torched JEM777DY or the mutilated "Hulk" UV7BK from years ago.
ouch ;)

How did you feel about the Jem evos?

I’ve never seen either of the guitars you mentioned but they sound.. interesting

I don’t even think of it as a relic job really, more of just an ‘as exact as possible’ clone of the original to satisfy my eyes when I walk by it ;) . With the color right, to me eye, it’ll be the only one I’ve seen as close to the original-
I’d never relic a guitar for the sake of having it just appear beat up. The guitar I just stared at most while learning guitar happens to be beat to sh*t! Haha

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's some dedicated work, man. Will you swap the gold hex screws for black ones in the humbuckers?
It surprisingly didn’t take that long!

I just checked and I think they’ve been gold since the originals were swapped out. Someone I know had taken some revealing shots of it during a product promo and it looks like they’re gold

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think this was posted on the ibanez group and you were put down for it

Those premium jems are too expensive that one is $1800 on every music website and not even MIJ

A shame they killed the japanese Jems. Those PIAs are too feminine-looking. Maybe they'll come out with new jem next year for the anniversary

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
You shouldn't care what anybody else thinks. The only thing that matters is what you think, and no doubt it fits what you wanted it to be. I think on the back you should have signed it 1 of 1, and your name ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
ouch ;)

How did you feel about the Jem evos?

I’ve never seen either of the guitars you mentioned but they sound.. interesting

I don’t even think of it as a relic job really, more of just an ‘as exact as possible’ clone of the original to satisfy my eyes when I walk by it ;) . With the color right, to me eye, it’ll be the only one I’ve seen as close to the original-
I’d never relic a guitar for the sake of having it just appear beat up. The guitar I just stared at most while learning guitar happens to be beat to sh*t! Haha

The JEM Evos I thought were a big dissappointment to be honest! I'd rather have had the option to purchase a JEM7VWH in pristine condition, handmade by Sugi.

I do understand that some folks like a beaten up guitar, or want something as close to what they see their hero play or what have you, but I just see it as strange to want something that is in effect a replica of damage and imperfection. If I was ordering a custom shop vintage Tele, I'd want it in brand new condition, not "Relic'd"

I think that's why the UV77MC re-issues appealled to me so much (out of my price range though;) ) because it was a chance to get a hold of the "same" guitar that I wanted in the 1990s but being in school, couldn't afford.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It surprisingly didn’t take that long!

I just checked and I think they’ve been gold since the originals were swapped out. Someone I know had taken some revealing shots of it during a product promo and it looks like they’re gold.
Ok, I was thinking of the original guitar, which has the prototype Evolution pups with black screws, but production ones got gold to go with the 7V scheme. I think that's how it went down! Someone can correct if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this was posted on the ibanez group and you were put down for it

Those premium jems are too expensive that one is $1800 on every music website and not even MIJ

A shame they killed the japanese Jems. Those PIAs are too feminine-looking. Maybe they'll come out with new jem next year for the anniversary
I don’t recall being ‘put down’, in fact almost all comments were extremely positive.

And I didn’t pay $1800 for it ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I was thinking of the original guitar, which has the prototype Evolution pups with black screws, but production ones got gold to go with the 7V scheme. I think that's how it went down! Someone can correct if I'm wrong.
The picture I attached is the original EVO pickguard as it is currently, the original prototype evolutions were switched out 15 or 16 years ago and the poles have been gold ever since, with the exception of a gravity storm that was in the bridge for a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts