Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You shouldn't care what anybody else thinks. The only thing that matters is what you think, and no doubt it fits what you wanted it to be. I think on the back you should have signed it 1 of 1, and your name ;)
I certainly don't, ha! I wanted it, I did it, I’m happy with how it turned out. I’m not sure how Far the finish will yellow before it stops, but either way it’s a pretty cool piece of wall art & will no doubt make it into some covers in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The JEM Evos I thought were a big dissappointment to be honest! I'd rather have had the option to purchase a JEM7VWH in pristine condition, handmade by Sugi.

I do understand that some folks like a beaten up guitar, or want something as close to what they see their hero play or what have you, but I just see it as strange to want something that is in effect a replica of damage and imperfection. If I was ordering a custom shop vintage Tele, I'd want it in brand new condition, not "Relic'd"

I think that's why the UV77MC re-issues appealled to me so much (out of my price range though;) ) because it was a chance to get a hold of the "same" guitar that I wanted in the 1990s but being in school, couldn't afford.
I wouldn’t buy a relic unless it were a replica of something that had a sentimental meaning. I Relicing for the sake of relicing isn’t something I’m into, my guitars get beat to sh*t cos I use them ;) I suppose I agree with you there

I’m also not into replicas that are done poorly, if it’s gonna be a replica it’s gotta be as exact as possible or it just seems cheesy. Next time I get my hands on evo I’ll do a comparison. IMO the only point in having a jem for me is to be a replica of steves, since the only Ibanez I use much anymore is the AZ. I wouldn’t use a signature model live besides perhaps the guthrie Govan charvel

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Alas, after a couple months under a sun lamp, a custom neck & some decal application the replica is finished. It’ll get some tweaks here and there; I still need a silver dimarzio ClipLock if anyone wants to sell theirs! Otherwise it’s set to do a few covers and otherwise sit as tribute on the wall next to another special ‘sister’ project a friend of mine is working on ;) details on that soon.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Guitar accessory
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Wood
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'd like to have one like that for the same reason I'd want the Frankenstein strat, beautiful wall art, nostalgic appreciation for one of the greats. That's a legit replica man, well done! 🤘👍

·
Registered
273 Posts
Alas, after a couple months under a sun lamp, a custom neck & some decal application the replica is finished. It’ll get some tweaks here and there; I still need a silver dimarzio ClipLock if anyone wants to sell theirs! Otherwise it’s set to do a few covers and otherwise sit as tribute on the wall next to another special ‘sister’ project a friend of mine is working on ;) details on that soon.
View attachment 17826 View attachment 17827 View attachment 17828 View attachment 17829
That is the first relic job I’ve seen that doesn’t look fake and ridiculous. Congratulations! It actually looks like honest wear.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That is the first relic job I’ve seen that doesn’t look fake and ridiculous. Congratulations! It actually looks like honest wear.
Thanks! I put special attention into that, glad to see it was noticed! It’s where I think the Sugi made replicas went wrong, although after realizing how much time it took I don’t blame them for wanting to get through 99 more quickly! Haha

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I feel the same way... Most "relic'd" guitars look silly to me and normally I am not a fan at all. You did a fantastic job on it though! The attention to detail makes it look like the real deal... a real tribute to a very special guitar.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts