Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.........I recently bought a RG1570 and i think the guitar is just amazing but i want to change the stock pickups for either the DiMarzio Evolution,Breed or Super Distortion but i cant decide on which one! I`m leaning towards the Evolutions but i`ve heard they dont produce much bass. I mainly play metal and like to do palm mutes and the such but i also want a pickup with good clarity and definition as well! Any suggestions would be a great help!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Go with the Breed. It's great with palm muting and can still produce great highs. I've never heard anything bad about them. I don't think there would be anything wrong with them because they're Steve Vai's weapon of choice! Good Luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonehead189 said:
Go with the Breed. It's great with palm muting and can still produce great highs. I've never heard anything bad about them. I don't think there would be anything wrong with them because they're Steve Vai's weapon of choice! Good Luck!
Thanks......so its safe to say the Breed is a better p/u then the Evo`s for heavier playing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Steve Vai has the Breeds in his Bad Horsie guitar, and he uses that for one of his heaviest songs so I think it's safe to say it will work. I play alot of metal and have a evo in the bridge and a breed in the neck and that works great. The evo isn't a bad pickup for heavy stuff but the breed in the bridge is probably going to be better for bassy sounds but I think you may want to wait for a few more responses because I'm by no means the definitive source of info.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I haven't tried Evos but I have a Breed in one of my guitars and it's pretty big sounding. If you look at the tone chart on Dimarzio's website, it's designed for massive midrange and bottom end. It still manages to stay very clear though. I haven't tried it in a basswood body, so ymmv.

If you want a big sounding Dimarzio, you might also want to look at the Tone Zone.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Evolution® bridge pickup works best for soloing where the sound must cut through. Low notes are very tight, and the highs have a lot of presence, enabling the pickup to be heard in almost any situation. Obviously, the Evolution® was designed for Steve's Ibanez® Jems, but it can add a lot of punch and definition to Les Pauls and similar set-neck guitars - EVEN THE LOWEST BASS NOTES really jump out of the amp, and feedback occurs easily with a wide range of harmonic overtones.
Treb: 6.5
Mid: 7
Bass: 6

The Breed™ was designed to warm up and smooth out the sound of 25 1/2 scale trem guitars. It's got a lot more power than a PAF®, but it also has a finer 'touch' than high-output models. Picking hard will generate a lot of voltage, but a softer attack will clean up the sound of an overdriven amp.
Steve wanted one of his instruments to have a fat, classic humbucker sound to contrast with the hotter, screaming Evolution®-equipped guitars.
Treb: 5
Mid: 9
Bass: 8

From http://www.dimarzio.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally don`t particularly like the evos, they sustain forever but lack mid range balls and clarity. I think there`s too much gain at the expense of everything else.

I would suggest looking at the paf pro or tone zone perhaps.

·
Super Moderator
7,428 Posts
ELicari said:
I`m leaning towards the Evolutions but i`ve heard they dont produce much bass. I mainly play metal and like to do palm mutes and the such but i also want a pickup with good clarity and definition as well! Any suggestions would be a great help!!!! Thanks!
My first piece of advice would be to consider not so much what you play so much as where you play!!!

Playing through a 1x10 solid state/ modelling amp in your spare room is a LOT different than using a boutique 100 watt amp head at high volume through 2 4x12 cabinets in a large club.

When you play in different rooms and with different amps at different volumes the timbre of your sound changes, amps produce more of certain frequencies the louder you wind them up.

Some pickups will sound unbelievably cool at bedroom levels, but produce too much bass in a gigging environment with certain amps.

If you're running something like a Mesa Dual rectifier on stage, I'd say go for a lower output pickup like the Paf Pro or the Fred, let the amp do the work and you'll get a clearer, less muddy , but still very bassy sound. Originally I beleive Korn used to put the lower output NECK blaze II pickups int the bridge position of their UVs to keep the sound extra tight.

If you're not moving so much air, and are using a smaller amp, then maybe go for a higher output pickup. IMHO I prefer teh Evo to the breed, but it also ALWAYS sound like Steve Vai is playing. Which might be good or bad depending on your point of view.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jono said:
My first piece of advice would be to consider not so much what you play so much as where you play!!!

Playing through a 1x10 solid state/ modelling amp in your spare room is a LOT different than using a boutique 100 watt amp head at high volume through 2 4x12 cabinets in a large club.

When you play in different rooms and with different amps at different volumes the timbre of your sound changes, amps produce more of certain frequencies the louder you wind them up.

Some pickups will sound unbelievably cool at bedroom levels, but produce too much bass in a gigging environment with certain amps.

If you're running something like a Mesa Dual rectifier on stage, I'd say go for a lower output pickup like the Paf Pro or the Fred, let the amp do the work and you'll get a clearer, less muddy , but still very bassy sound. Originally I beleive Korn used to put the lower output NECK blaze II pickups int the bridge position of their UVs to keep the sound extra tight.

If you're not moving so much air, and are using a smaller amp, then maybe go for a higher output pickup. IMHO I prefer teh Evo to the breed, but it also ALWAYS sound like Steve Vai is playing. Which might be good or bad depending on your point of view.
Thanks jono for the info.......Yeah i just play as a hobby in my house and i use a 1x12 50w modelling combo amp. I hear exactly what your saying! I think sometimes i get a little carried away with trying to find the perfect pickup for me while any of the ones mentioned would be great! I guess it makes it kinda fun experimenting and doing mods to guitars. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If you like low end, put a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. Makes a sick combo and the Tone Zone will beef your RG up a bit and still sound transparent. Gary Schutt plays with Duncan Distortion in the bridge of his RG (and I always think it's a Tone Zone from the way it sounds) and it sounds great!

Put a Super Distortion in the bridge and Super 2 if you want something even louder and meaner.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What DiMarzio pickup would be the closest to sounding like an Evolution with more bottom end? I guess a really want to put the Evo`s in my RG but i`m afraid of it sounding to trebly! I`ve been hearing good things about the Evo`s, Breed,Tone Zone,Super Distortion and now i`m really confused! *lol* The best thing to do is try out the different pickups but except for the Jems with the Evo`s,i haven`t found any other guitars with the other pickups in them at my local music stores! I`m gonna have to just choose and go for it i guess but its awful hard!!!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You ask 400 people and will get 400 different answers. I put a SD in the bridge and an air norton in the neck and thats what i like best. Before i had a Tone Zone bridge position, wasn't too bad either.

DiMarzio lets you send back if you don't like it, so there is really no risk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You know, on each box of the DiMarzio's I just bought there is a sticker stating that if you are not happy with the sound of the pickup to call DiMarzio within 30 days for their exchange policy. You need a dated sales receipt and to be a U.S. resident. I've never had to exchange one of their pickups but it seems like it would be fairly easy. Hopefully, this will make it easier for you to get the sound you want.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dragsternj said:
You ask 400 people and will get 400 different answers. I put a SD in the neck and a air norton in the neck and thats what i like best. Before i had a Tone Zone bridge position, wasn't too bad either.

Di Marzio lets yopu send back if you don't like it, so there is really no risk.
Very true!!!!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bonehead189 said:
Good luck with the pu you choose, I hope it suits your playing needs! Evo, Breed, SD, AN, TZ. I've been asking myself the same question (What DiMarzio pu will suit my playing?!?!)
Thanks!!!! And thanks to everyone for their input!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.