Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of pickups I have currently available to me without having to buy anything else, I was just wondering what you guys thought of using an Evolution neck pickup in the bridge spot with a PAF Pro in the neck position.

This will be going into an alder body guitar with a wrap around type (bad ass) bridge and 24 fret bolt on maple/rosewood neck. 500K volume and tone pots, standard 3 way switch, nothing else fancy.

Judging from Dimarzio's website, the neck Evo will still be more powerful than a PAF pro, and I'm sure several people have used a regular bridge Evo with a PAF Pro in the neck with much satisfaction.

I guess what I'm really asking is: "Has anyone really used a Neck Evo in the bridge spot?"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hm....strings over the neck have more amplitude than at the bridge. Those pups have same output rating...but at the neck strings have more output as I have said earlier....I wouldnt try thaht :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this was an old posted question, but I've just now gotten an Edge bridge for a project RG and I still have those two pickups. Now they'd be going into an RG550 body with a maple/rosewood neck and the Edge trem.

As far as a higher output humbucker or similar output humbucker in the neck spot, Jimmy J swears by the PAF Pro in the bridge and Tone Zone in the neck. I've seen the Youtube review and it seems to work well.

I just wanted to revisit this question again to see if anyone else had tried an Evo neck pickup in the bridge spot. The PAF Pro neck is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Keep in mind that the output of a neck humbucker can be quite a bit lower than than of one designed for the bridge. If you switch them around, you could wind up dealing with some pretty bad volume issues.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you have them & can install them yourself try it.

Some of my favorite pickup combinations are ones that manufacturers or other users say should work well together.

It will only cost you a little time & you may end up with something you like

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had an evo in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck and it didnt work, the output of the paf pro was gave it about half the volume of the evo so switching between neck and bridge humbucker during songs sucked, so ive not switched to evos in neck and bridge,

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Keep in mind that the output of a neck humbucker can be quite a bit lower than than of one designed for the bridge. If you switch them around, you could wind up dealing with some pretty bad volume issues.
But there are times when a bridge pup sounds GREAT in the neck, like The Cruiser bridge. Amazing clarity.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an Evo/Paf Pro combo set up here and have them working together great. I backed the Evo off a little, and raised the Paf.

Here's a pic of the heights:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts