Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys didnt u notice that the evolution is only good in full distortion mode, i dunno why but i beleive it lacks attack in clean mode and it isnt that loud, and the clean taps dont come up easily as with other pickups...weird though since it works gr8 with distortion... :S

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Well, 9 times out of 10 pickups are either good at one or the other. Cleans or Dirty tones. Now I agree with you, the Evo is better when its cranked-up than it is when its clean. I dont think it sounds too bad clean either, but not as good when there is gain involved. I dont play clean too often, so I am not too bothered, but if I ever do play clean I personally prefer single-coils anyway.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I personally find the clean sound of the Evo's very good. I actually play clean (or "clean-ish") more than overdriven and find the tighter lows and boosted mids to give me a nice fat, but projecting, clean tone.

To each his own, I guess. :)

Mic

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Rochus said:
the evo neck pickup gives a nice clean sound...the bridge pickup on the other hand just hurts my ears. :p
Yeah the brigde pickup is bit thin with a clean tone but on the other hand it's nice with loads of distortions ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't care for the evo's clean sound by themsleves, but in pos 2 and 4 with the middle pickup switched in, i think the clean sounds are decent.
peace

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would never use the bridge pickup alone for a clean sound anyway. That's the whole point of having more than one pickup and using combinations of pickups IMO.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Is the Evo the best PUP for cleans? No. I had an S540 with IBZ/USA single coils that had the best cleans I ever heard (not that I've heard every PUP). However, the neck Evo does a perty good job, and I've had quite a few complements. I use the 5 position for clean leads and the 4 position for rhythm stuff -- usually.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
freedom's door said:
I don't care for the evo's clean sound by themsleves, but in pos 2 and 4 with the middle pickup switched in, i think the clean sounds are decent.
peace
Agreed ;).

Regards

André

1 - 11 of 11 Posts