Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in any stories you've heard or witnessed about bands/musicians doing or saying stupid/insensitive things, funny things or bat **** crazy things on stage.

I'll start with one of hilarity and insensitivity that I heard recently:

Apparently during their "Bomber" tour, Motorhead played Dresden. Lemmy's introduction to the audience as he pointed at the life size model of a bomber suspended above the stage was "Evenin' Dresden, been a while since you saw one of those, eh?"

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I was on a 4 hour cruise once that went around Manhattan, and featured Dokken. Well, Don was a complete dick (surprise) and actually tried to punch a girl in the audience in the face. The band put down their instruments and walked away from the stage, and they had to hand out free drinks for the duration. They played Dokken's hits on the PA, George and the bass player walked around shaking hands, and it turned into a great night of drinking, sailing around the city at the center of the Universe, and cursing at Don Dokken :) George's girl is a 14 on a 10 scale :) This was maybe 10 years ago? I forget

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
What I witnessed was so epic that it should be enshrined as a world heritage event.

I saw Maiden on their brave new world tour. This was the show at the universal amphitheater.

So anthrax was one of the opening acts so there was a lot of moshing. Maiden comes out and does a couple songs and the moshing started up again. Bruce got tired of it because not alot of people wanted tomosh. He stopped the show once telling them to knock it off. He stopped the show again and he up and told them if they didn't stop he would go down there himself and kick all their a$$es. That was EPIC.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Years and years ago,I was in a cover band that was on a bill with Firehouse and White Lion. Its was in a really small town on the 4th of July and there was a hog roast, the whole 9. During W.L's set Mike Tramp says, " How about that hog roast?? I tell, ya, I haven't had pig that good since my wife"! Then he turns to the rest of the band and says, "Don't you guys say anything.."

LOL

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I also saw The Nuge at a free festival once and every other word that came out of his mouth was racist. Everyone around us was like, "Just shut up and play Stanglehold, dipsh*t!"

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Nugent... crazy mofo. Saw him and Kiss when I was in the Army in the late 80's. He was kind of pissy all night because he ran up and around this big arch that circled above the stage and hit his head HARD on the light boom. Some guy in the audience threw a bottle at him... missed him by like 15 feet... but he stopped th show to tell the "Army puke" that he wouldn't even have got him if it had been a grenade... lol! Amazing player though... and Kiss was great! It was in the Bruce Kulick years... plus I caught a Paul Stanley pick that I still have. Has his signature in gold and like a zebra print on the other side, as it was the "Animalize" tour.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Kiss was all about over indulgence but that's what I came to see. If any other band tried to pull off such a weird theatric show it just wouldn't come off so good. The whole cheesy Kiss show is what makes it fun and without it we would have felt ripped off. Fire breathing, blood spitting, and long Paul Stanley rants! Sometimes they attempted to play their instruments to the same tempo but the visual was what dominated the show and there's a reason the producers had to seriously doctor up their live show and pipe in audience noise that wasn't even there to make it listenable on an album. The myth of how that album sounded was what I expected to hear in concert, but what I heard was garbage but my memory reverted to that of the polished live album. See 23:19 on this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BHhzvfFJ1U#t=1399

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost forgot an epic one. About 12 years ago I went to an Ozzfest here. The lineup was Slayer, System of a Down, Black Label Society and Ozzy. We were more or less at the corner of the stage. At various points Ozzy could be seen at the side of stage or staggering around the performers enclosure, his movements seemed to get more and more eratic and his gait became more exaggerated, word started to spread that Ozzy was "tired and emotional" and sure enough a stressed looking Zakk Wylde announced that due to an issue with his voice Ozzy would not be performing. A chant of "Ozzy's drunk!" started. At that stage Ozzy was supposed to be on the wagon.

The other one I remember clearly was GnR at Slane in 199(0 I think). They were late (as usual) and obviously in the middle of their self medication phase. It was 30c and Slash appeared on stage wearing a leather jacket with a sweater screaming "It's ****in' freezing here man!". Axl sang in every key but the one the song was in and the bass player was so wasted that Keith Richards would have been proud to claim him as a long lost son, terrible gig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts