Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm uber excited guys. I'm starting a new project after a few yeas of not doing one.

Here's what I'm doing.

I currently owned a RG560 which is in black. I'm not a fan of black at all and got disgusted with the color. So after some emails with Nate at Perleguitars I convinced him to do a custom Fireman body for me.

Specs are

Neck Pocket: Square heel
Pickups: SSS (Dimarzio Injectors)
Wood: Basswood
Trem: Edge route

About a week ago I purchased a used Ibanez RG620X at Guitar Center and it just arrived today. So, I'm planning on parting the guitar out and keeping the Double Edge Trem for myself.

I've asked some people on here and Rich about the trems. They all agreed that the trem is based of the Lo-pro edge. I'm not to familiar with their trems but I do know they kick ass. So, I will be using this trem on the Fireman.

I got two single coils from the 560 I will be using and later will be ordering a Dimarzio Injector set.

Here's a reference pic to the fireman and the next one is a close up of the Double Edge.
I just wanted to point out that I borrowed the pic from Perleguitars to show what my body will look like. It's not mine.

At the moment I'm stuck on colors. I'm either doing a transparent red or a Orange Crush Metallic finish.

Otherwise I'll take any ideas.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
This is gonna be a killer project man!!!! I love the double Edge!! It's definitely based on the original edge and not the Lo-Pro. For me that's a bonus!!!!!

Keep adding pick as you go along.......I'm looking forward to seeing the process as well as the finished guitar!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RG, I deft will give updates. Unfortunaly I'm not really good with the hands on work yet. I might have my tech work on it. There's a local motorcyle custom shop in town I think I have do the paint work.

I only spent $450 on the guitar but I can easily get that back.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Have you asked Nate about painting it?? The last I checked, his prices were pretty reasonable.

I doubt you'll ever want to sell it when it's done, but if you do I'll have MY EYES ON IT!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Anyone here good with making wiring diagrams?

To get it knocked back down to two knobs. One's for the volume and the other the Acoustic knob but have it a push pull pot so I can switch from Acoustic to regular tone knob?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. so I found a gent out in Scranton, PA who is going to paint my guitar for dirt cheap. He own's a music store and does this on the side for fun. He's only going to charge me $100 for it. That's including paint.

I got it down to two different paints. We're going to use TCP.

1) Kryptonite Green
2) Sensual Sonic Blue ( same color as Billy Sheehan's new bass)

What color should I paint it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
A square heeled fireman?? Damn...how much extra did it cost you? I've got a Warmoth neck and I was thinking of getting a JS body for it since it's the only one with a square-heel and I know Ibanez 22 fret square heels fit Strat necks fine...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, dres.

At first Nate didn't want to do it but I nagged him enough and he changed his mine. I went with Basswood for the wood and it came out to $195. $175 for the body and an extra $35 for the square heel mod.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Ok. so I found a gent out in Scranton, PA who is going to paint my guitar for dirt cheap. He own's a music store and does this on the side for fun. He's only going to charge me $100 for it. That's including paint.

I got it down to two different paints. We're going to use TCP.

1) Kryptonite Green
2) Sensual Sonic Blue ( same color as Billy Sheehan's new bass)

What color should I paint it?
I'd go green:mrgreen:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Riverdragon!

Just a little update.
I got an emailed from Nate at Perleguitars and he had this attached to it.

Now, I haven't recieved the body yet but my only concern now is room in my control cavity. Atm there may not be enough space for the control-x. The piezo board.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Do you have the original cavity cover from the 620x? If you do, you should be able to use it as a guide to re-routing the control cavity. Hopefully it will work well with the route you already have.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, I was looking at the board just now and it's not very thick. It's about 2 inches long though. So, I'm hoping that the cavity might be fine. Just might need to widen it a little bit. The control knob for the Acoustic preamp is a regular knob. I'm wondering if I can get a push pull knob so I can wire it as a Electric tone knob/Acoustic Knob. That way I'll have to worry about two knobs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.