Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anybody be interested in getting some various wood covers, like trem covers,truss rod covers, and other back cavity covers? I'm going to be making some out of various exotic woods and was curious if anybody else would like some? I'm going to start with covers for rg's but will also be making some for the S series as well. Depending on how that goes I may also make some for jackson's and maybe some other brands. I might also make a few pickguards depending on how the ones for myself turn out.
I'll be working with lots of different various nice woods with nice quilts and curls to just beautiful dark grained woods. If you are interested please post or pm. I don't see this as something offered by a lot of the other companies so i'm taking it into my own hands. Thanks for any feedback :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
This sounds like a great idea for show guitars especially. my only concern would be the corners, where the screws go in... I've got a real knack for cracking those things.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to makes these just as thick as the plastic ones so I would imagine it would be stronger. I could also try to make them a little thicker if a person wanted.
I also forgot to mention that I will also be working on pick-up rings as well. I can get some amazing maples and other woods with blues or reds in them to kinda of go with your color. I think these will make greaet truss rod covers, to carry the theme of your color all the way up to the neck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would be intersted in some of these if I could see some pictures of the ones you make. It's a great idea for customization!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just something to take into consideration.

A cover-plate made from wood the same thickness as the normal plastic ones would be very prone to warping and cracking.
I've read quite a few articles where various guitar makers have encountered this problem. One of them (i forget which company) had resorted to making the plates from Carbon-Fibre and veneering them to give the same appearance without all of the problems.

This could well be why there aren't many companies already selling them.
You see quite a few people who make custom wood truss-rod covers because you're far less likely to encounter these problems with a small plate.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is a good point that i've been thinking about, guess I'll just have to try a few things and see what works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts