Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about protecting my rather expensive guitars with some protective, transparent film, for example something like this

Link to aliexpress

Does anyone have experience with this? I am wondering how well it will protect the finish, if it will damage the original finish over time and how easy taking it off will be.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and sharing your thoughts

·
Registered
186 Posts
It works for cell phone screens.

I'd be leary of using it on anything but flat surfaces.

The corner radii, where most dings and scratches occur would be harder to wrap

·
Registered
233 Posts
PPF would work to prevent surface scratches on the finish but, personally, I think a guitar with some fine surface scratches a would look MUCH nicer than one that's in mint condition but wrapped in PPF. Then factor in that the PPF will pick up fine surface scratches itself.

I just watched the video on your Ali Express link. The coated table top has a very obvious 'orange peel' appearance all over, so it would make your expensive guitars look anything but expensive.

·
Vendor
26,766 Posts
Good PPF looks like glass and you just peel it off and replace or leave off when ready to sell. It is excellent protection, the JS1CR's are sprayed with a PPF coating that keeps them looking great where every other chromeboy looks like crap after a few years of playing.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have used PPF in the past with great results. But it's definitely better for flat surfaces. It's sort of like the 3M protective film they put on cars to protect against stone chips. Hell it might be the SAME for all I know. As long as the paint is glassy smooth you won't notice any texturing under the covering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.