Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a possible used JEM for sale online. It's so cheap that it inspired me to do some research. The serial number as well as the Ibanez logo have been scratched off... which makes me wonder if it was stolen at some point. It has a vines fretboard, and goes all the way to fret 24. The last 4 frets are scalloped. Body is white with a white pearl pick guard. I can't make out the bridge or tuner details from the photos. The parts that are flags to me are the hardware is all silver, similar to a 555. I didn't see anything in the JEM 7x series with hardware other than black or gold. Also the lower left corner of the pick guard is more rounded compared with the typical very pointy bottom left corner. Fake or potential?

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi, new kid, just curious..how can y'all tell it's fake? Some of the fretwork in the scalloping photo definitely looks dodgy. Are there any other "tells"?

edit: whoa...hadn't seen the headstock shot yet. Yeah, dodgy.
Before you even get to the headstock:
Top horn looks weirdly rounded off. Pearloid pickguard finish appears to be a sticker that's peeling off. Screws/hardware should be gold. And that is not a trem that ever shipped with a real 7vwh. It looks like someone tried to make a Floyd out of grey modeling clay.
And that's just the first photo...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely fake. There’s nothing real about that guitar. Even if it was real, trading in stolen goods is a bad practice, and this is likely stolen (or made to look stolen). It just encourages thieves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely a FAKE! The bottom horn is way too rounded and the tremolo is a cheap TRS style trem. Not an Ibanez Edge or Lo-Pro Edge. The top of the headstock is sorta close but the edge on the tuner side is too sharp. The image I provided will give you a better example of what to look for. Plus, I don't know if it's your photo, but the center vine looks shiny. It should be a matte beige. My 2 cents.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.