Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo
I've got a simple question. Anybody know how to make those fannet frets. I wan't to make a nine string and I wanted to buy a license from Novax, but I live in Poland, so I can't buy it.
Anybody know how to count the right position of the frets and bridge.
Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
For the Novax Charlie Hunter 8-string, the treble end is 25" and the bass side is 30.25" (my calculations have the 9th string at roughly 30.90"). Just take those scale lenths and plug them in on one of those fret-placement calculators some luthiery websites have and you'll be all set, as getting the placement of the outside strings will automatically provide the correct placement for those in between.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, to get the frets really exact you can make a mathematic scheme. To get it right you have to put in a little more effort to it than just calculating the high and the low string fretpositions and draw a line between them. If you place the fretsaw just half a millimeter wrong, yor fretboard will be ruined.

I can give the "formulae" you it, but since it will take a loong time to write it down it would be nice to know if you are still interested.

Micke

·
Registered
69 Posts

I guess there will be questions... And I'm not sure how to attatch pictures yet... but here we go.

oups... the 500-number in the last equation shall be Xa

·
Registered
426 Posts
For the Novax Charlie Hunter 8-string, the treble end is 25" and the bass side is 30.25" (my calculations have the 9th string at roughly 30.90").
There is more then 5" difference between treble and bass side, this means the frets fane out way too much. In most fanned frets application the difference is at most 2", otherwise it's hardly playable. Charlies 8 string goes from 25" tp 27" or something like that. 30.25" is absolutely rediculus.

Go here and you will see.

darn I suck at this...anyone... how do you upload pictures...?
Goto photobucket.com, open an account and post your pics from there.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
My bad- the Novax site now says that it's 25-28.75... I think I got 30" from a harmony central review- to think that a review of a high-end guitar would be more accurate. 3.75 inches I guess is still quite a bit, Jemmm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/komorok/?action=view&current=PICT3656.jpg

I updated the equations to incooperate a variable so it it possible to choose which fret is perpendicular to the centerline of the fretboard.

I made a program on my Texas TI82. Otherwise the calculations would take a serious amount of time!

I guess this is a little to complicated for some people, so if you need help I will gladly give it to you. Just give me the scales and width of the saddels and the stringspacing at the nut and which fret you want to be perpendicular. I guess the most usual is fret 12...

Man, I sound swollen up.... I assure you I only wish to be helpful :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
This thread is a little old, don't you agree? :D

That aside, I thoguth making fanned frets was easy. Just put the knife on the chopping board, get a kitchen knife and start cutting any random way. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts