Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I realize that it is only minicamp time...

Last year was a failure, so I'm starting way early this year. I think I have the league set up a lot better as well. Plus my fantasy baseball team is still in the crapper so I need some hope for online sports and I need it now...

I have 9 spots open. Yahoo, free... set up to pre-rank players and then it is auto-draft. Completely points based (no head-head in case of an odd number of teams).

I have 9 spots open. I just need an email address to start the sign-up process.

Only sign up if you are serious about playing every week.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
jay, how much "time" is required to do this pre-season and every week? i'd like to do it but don't want to waste a spot for someone... glen

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glen - If you want, very little time is required. The league will automatically pre-rank the "best" players in the game for you. So you can just shuffle that as you see fit. Pre-season time required - 0 to 30 minutes (unless you want to get crazy involved).

Week to week you just have to go on before gameday and change your roster. Obviously if a player has a by-week you'll want to sub in somebody else that week. Or maybe make some moves (IE - if you have Dante Culpepper you'll want to sit him out by the time the Vikings have their late-season collapse). Weekly prep time 0 - 30 minutes.

The only other time involved is checking in on Monday/Tuesday to see how your team did points-wise. You can obviously invest more time doing free agent pickups or trades.

It is pretty simple though. Fantasy baseball is much more involved and if I want I can set my roster for the entire week in all of 5 minutes (that includes checking pitching matchups, who is playing who and when, who is on a hot streak, etc). It's all point and click simple stuff.

EDIT - also with the auto-draft, you really don't have to be online at any given time. Just as long as you make any necessary roster changes by game time, you can go on 24-7 as it fits your schedule. I only say I'm looking for serious people because some people sign up and spend zero time from day one. IE - they will be starting players that are on IR or not even on a team (in a real-life fantasy league I was in, somebody drafted a retired player)... it's not hard to keep up, but some people don't put forth ANY effort.

gitarguy - email is on its way.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
OK... sounds good. Can you recap the "draft". I assume each person picks/drafts a few players for your roster and everyone can't have the same ones?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just like a real NFL draft, except everybody is fair game.

The very first thing to do is pre-rank your players. This is NOT a live draft... it's too hard to find a time when everybody can be online at once, and a draft can take 3-4 hours. So you can go through every player in the league (sortable by position) and pick the players that you want most. The league will automatically put the top 25 players in the league (based on fantasy points earned) in your ranking. You can remove/add/arrange as you see fit.

There is a random determination of draft order. When draft time comes, Yahoo will select the highest ranked player still available from your list, and on down the line.

After the draft, you can add/remove/trade players as needed. Anyone not drafted is a free agent, and fair game for adding to your team (as long as you have an empty roster spot).

Your starting roster contains 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, a full team defense and up to 6 bench spots that can be any position.

While I'm at it, here's how scoring works:

Completions (0.066) (basically, you get 1 point for 15 completions)
Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (.125)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

I have it set up to be, hopefully, a high scoring league. In lower scoring leagues, *I* usually find you have one person get a lead on everyone and it is near impossible to catch up. This way, anybody should be able to catch up on the #1 guy. Also, I put a decent emphasis on defense. One of the more enjoyable leagues I've played in was set up similar... where you can really turn a game around if you have a good defense (just like real NFL).

Most fantasy leagues will have weekly matchups between teams. IE - week 1 might be Glen vs Jay. Whoever gets more points wins that game. Your win/loss record determines your position. I have it set up to be based on points. That way if there is an odd number of teams, there's no worry. I might change that depending on who all signs up. Having it win-loss based is kind of fun/frustrating as you can have the 2nd most points in the league one week and still lose your game.

That should cover a lot of stuff...

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Ok, i'm in. I've never done FF before for time constraints but this seems pretty smooth going. The emphasis on D is great as that prevents the guy with McNutz, Daunte or Payton from winning by default :) ...glen

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
jemsite said:
Ok, i'm in. I've never done FF before for time constraints but this seems pretty smooth going. The emphasis on D is great as that prevents the guy with McNutz, Daunte or Payton from winning by default :) ...glen
Why, McNutz couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right? ;)

I'd love to but I'm not sure I have the time even if it is super easy. Just keeping track of who has a bye is work ;////

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Pass happy team with no runback in weak division... great QB for "FANTASY" football.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent him one the same time as you... then again, my email address for him might be 6 years old.

I'll try another one... if anything it will be a helpful reminder.

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
jay ratkowski said:
Only sign up if you are serious about playing every week.
Is something about this flexible?

I've never played a fantasy league, never had any inclination to. I enjoy the sport, I love watching the games, the last thing I want is to make work out of it. Work I don't have time for. I'm trying to cut out 2 a day right now and am still 7 behind. ;)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rich said:
Is something about this flexible?

I've never played a fantasy league, never had any inclination to. I enjoy the sport, I love watching the games, the last thing I want is to make work out of it. Work I don't have time for. I'm trying to cut out 2 a day right now and am still 7 behind. ;)
Read the big post I made for Glen about the time requirements... see if that works for you. :) It's no fun beating up on someone who doesn't try.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts