Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Frank Zappa

Votes: 30 19.5%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
David Lee Roth.
Whitesnake was good (kittens got claws is great) but with DLR his playing is fantastic.
Shy Boy, elephant gun.....
IMO, PAW and eat'em and smile are a "must have" CD's.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ya DLR, Eat Em' and Smile just kicks some major bottem, specailly because sheehan is on it as well, they have great chemistry. Elephant gun, shy boy, bump ad grind, yakee rose, thats life, ladies night in buffulo and tobbaco road are some really amazing songs.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Allow me to be the lone voice of dissent here. :)

I think Steve's work with Alcatrazz is by far the best of his pre-solo work. I think the song structures, arrangements, and playing on that album are by far better than the DLR albums. Eat Em sounds to me like they had to scrape together material (3 covers?), and the arranging and production sounds rushed. Skyscraper is definitely better arranged and produced, but i don't care for most of the material at all. As far as the Whitesnake thing, Steve was just a hired gun, and it sounds that way to me.
The Alcatrazz album was an example of what hard rock could be, that is intelligent and kick-ass, without the pretentiousness of prog, or the idiotic song themes of much of metal.
I also really like Steve's work on the PIL album. "Ease" is still one of his greatest recorded solos ever.
peace

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
freedom's door said:
Allow me to be the lone voice of dissent here. :)

I think Steve's work with Alcatrazz is by far the best of his pre-solo work. I think the song structures, arrangements, and playing on that album are by far better than the DLR albums. Eat Em sounds to me like they had to scrape together material (3 covers?), and the arranging and production sounds rushed. Skyscraper is definitely better arranged and produced, but i don't care for most of the material at all. As far as the Whitesnake thing, Steve was just a hired gun, and it sounds that way to me.
The Alcatrazz album was an example of what hard rock could be, that is intelligent and kick-ass, without the pretentiousness of prog, or the idiotic song themes of much of metal.
I also really like Steve's work on the PIL album. "Ease" is still one of his greatest recorded solos ever.
peace
The Alcatrazz album "Distrubing the Peace" is a sweet ;) album!

Regards

André

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have that Alcatrazz disc, and it's ok. I'm sorry, but IMO, Graham Bonnet is HORRIBLE! Take out the vocals, remix the thing, and it may be great...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts