Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

Ok, here goes... time to face the firing squad... :wink:

I would love to get honest, no holds-barred feedback on my new band Diagenesis' first demo. We started out as a 70's - 90's hard rock cover band, but have been writing and interjecting originals here and there along the way. This is our first recording project together.

www.soundcloud.com/kfssdude

Some very brief guitar-tech notes (since this is, after all, a guitar forum!)...

The drop-D material is played on my '02 Jem 7VSBL. I have added an FU brass big block to the Edge Lo-Pro along with a brass spring claw, and changed the pups out to a DiMarzio EVO2 bridge and LiquiFire neck.

The Eb tuning is done on my '89 Jem 777VBK. I have changed the pups on this one also; EVO2 bridge & LiquiFire neck again (my favorite combo these days). Everything else is bone stock including the original Edge trem.

The acoustic used on Garden is a 2000 Taylor 310CE - honestly I think this is one of the best acoustic electrics I've played for the price! They are not "high-end" Taylors, and as such aren't <super> expensive (I think GC sells these for around $1500 new w/ HSC), but they play and sound amazing both unlugged and plugged in!

The rig is a 1st gen EVH signature (1990 model year) Peavey 5150 full stack with original 5150 Sheffield loaded cabs. I have the head loaded with JJ's and an adjustable bias mod with the tubes set just a bit warmer than stock @ ~25-30mA. The top (slant) cab I cut the back panel in half so it's an "open" cab config, the bottom (straight) cab is in stock sealed form. I run a Boss GT-10 into a BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer all through the amp's effects loop - no digital gains of any kind; only reverb, eq, and occasionally delay on a solo or chorus on a clean.

So that's it in a nutshell... I appreciate your feedback (even 6Fingers from whom I am prepared to receive absolutely brutal honesty... :grin: ).

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Honest, eh... I posted a similar thread very very recently, so I'm in the same position?
Anyway.. The playing is pretty good, your influences are pretty clear. It's nice.
The production side of things is a bit sketchy... but don't worry, they are typical things (that I've fallen into as well). Specifically, There is plenty of "fat" that could be cut away from the guitars -they are also pretty loud in the mix. EQ could solve this though. Vocals need a little more presence. Vocals are also lost deep in the mix... like I said, cleaning up the guitar will fix that to an extent.
I would also work on the Reverb technique a bit. The goal of reverb (most of the time) is to set the depth of a track, and also "put all the tracks in the same space". You can do this by setting up 1 or 2 different reverb channels, and sending tracks to them (parallel).
The other thing is, it's mastered very, very loud. The compression is also very 'pumpy', so you might want to work on the attack and release levels.

Don't take this negatively. I do think this is good. But it does need some mixing work, which is why you came here. ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good input fwd... thanks. I don't pretend to have ANY expertise when it comes to mixing & mastering... we did this as kind of a group effort but to really make it sound right I think we're going to have to hire a pro engineer. Hopefully they will be able to work with the raw tracks and dial it in better. We're on a pretty tight budget, but you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I actually like this stuff and also like the mix. Guitar tone's nice (bit loud). Maybe a little better balancing. The bass is too bridge puppy on the first two songs. The third song and fourth seem to have a better fullness of tone on the bass. Don't know if that's my ears.

I think the drums are very badly muted. They sound like cardboard boxes.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the feedback Ibateur!

You know I agree on the drum tone completely. As a guitar player I've been experimenting with recording my guitar for years, so I had a decent idea what I was doing there. But I obviously know zip about recording drums, and it seemed WAY more complicated. My drummer is a hard hitter and he's got a monster kit so I felt like we were really struggling with getting good levels and trying to kill feedbacks, mute little random noises etc. The end result, as you noticed, is a weird muted middle ground that does not come close to accurately representing his kit...

Hopefully we will be in a position to do a "real" recording in a legit studio with a pro engineer in the not to distant future. I think for a budget demo this is prob "good enough", mixing and mastering aside, but I am obviously no engineer. I have a LOT to learn! Which is why I'm on here! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts