Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am highly contemplating about getting this to make guitar # 14..I was wondering if anyone does have an american strat with this setup and can post his/her reviews.. I am probably selling two axes to pick up this setup..I think Fender should offer a DG signature strat and not just EMG offering the pickup set. If anyone is selling one, please PM me..:)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have a Warmoth Strat very similar in setup to the Strat Ultras (Alder body, ebony Fingerboard, LSR nut). I have the DG-20 setup in that and I love it. Stainless Steel frets and Wilkinson trem, and QM top are pretty much the only glaring differences from a Strat Ultra.

The DG-20's sound great when in the flat EQ settings, but the real strength of the system is the EXP and SPC controls. With those dialed in correctly you can go from a somewhat modern straight-up strat tone to way beyond normal strat sounds. I would not recommend this system to the vintage strat purist, but for someone looking for a three single coil setup and a ton of versatility I think its great. EMGs in general are not for every one, so check them out first if you have a chance. The most common negative feedback I hear from other guitar players is that "they make all guitars sound the same" I have EMG 81/85's in my LP Custom, 81/85's in one of my Warmoth Floyd strats, and of course the DG-20's in my Ultra spinoff and they all sound completely different. That being said, I also like passive pickups for thier different flavor so I have lots of Dimarzios, Duncans, and Rio Grands in my other guitars.

Bottom line, if at all possible, try an EMG single in another guitar first and make sure the sound works for you, if so go for the DG-20 cause it only gets better with the active controls.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thanks for the long reply..it is highly appreciated..yeah, i have had guitars in the past with emg's and i havent had too many issues..a good friend has an emg m2 deluxe with a single EMG humbucker..sound pretty good.i have a jackson with EMG HZ's(yeah theyre a lower end) but it doesnt sound too shabby..I have 13 guitars so i was looking to get something a little above and beyond.i have always wanted this setup because im a huge gilmour and floyd fan...i have 2 jacksons, 2 ibanez's, 3 fenders, 1 charvel, and the rest are acoustics or acoustic electrics..

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had the DG-20 setup on various US Fender strats at one time or another. I like it a lot. The EMG pickups and EXG and SPC controls allows you to get the creamy, overdriven sound, thick yet distinct from a humbucker as well as sparkling clean.

wemedge

·
Registered
864 Posts
One other thing I love about the system is that with that active tone controls you can dial in a very convincing bridge telecaster sound. Ive never been able to do that with a strat with passive pickups/passive tone control short of actually routing a strat cavity for a tele bridge pickup which is way more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I have a Warmoth Strat very similar in setup to the Strat Ultras (Alder body, ebony Fingerboard, LSR nut). I have the DG-20 setup in that and I love it. Stainless Steel frets and Wilkinson trem, and QM top are pretty much the only glaring differences from a Strat Ultra.

The DG-20's sound great when in the flat EQ settings, but the real strength of the system is the EXP and SPC controls. With those dialed in correctly you can go from a somewhat modern straight-up strat tone to way beyond normal strat sounds. I would not recommend this system to the vintage strat purist, but for someone looking for a three single coil setup and a ton of versatility I think its great. EMGs in general are not for every one, so check them out first if you have a chance. The most common negative feedback I hear from other guitar players is that "they make all guitars sound the same" I have EMG 81/85's in my LP Custom, 81/85's in one of my Warmoth Floyd strats, and of course the DG-20's in my Ultra spinoff and they all sound completely different. That being said, I also like passive pickups for thier different flavor so I have lots of Dimarzios, Duncans, and Rio Grands in my other guitars.

Bottom line, if at all possible, try an EMG single in another guitar first and make sure the sound works for you, if so go for the DG-20 cause it only gets better with the active controls.
Got a pic :)?

Regards

André

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have 13 other guitars??
yes...here is my list so far..

1.2001 Fender California Series american strat-2 texas special single coils, seymour duncan humbucker
2.1981 japanese strat in off white-all original with no mods
3.2005 jackson DXMG with dual EMG HZ humbuckers(upgrading with sperzel's and possibly new EMG's)
4.jackson DKMG with maple neck and dual seymour duncan humbuckers
5.Fender MIM with 2 fender noiseless pickups and 1 red lace single coil(currently selling)
6.Ibanez RG350DXWH-2005 model completely stock, currently selling
7.Black Rg470 stock with mirror pickguard.
8.RG570 in sour apple(bought from member here, 2 DImarzio humbuckers and USA V8 single coil pickup..
9.takamine acoustic eletric
10.Ibanez talman acoustic electric-was given to me before my friend moved to seattle)
11.Fender acoustic
12. Washburn acoustic electric classical nylon guitar
13.Charvel with single seymour duncan humbucker 24 fret, fixed bridge

currently buying another american strat(either with EMGDG20 setup, if not will be buying separately and installing. I bid on a 2003 Amer strat with 2 single coil fender noiseless PU's.if i get this i will be selling the pickups with the pickguard..

I did also have a 83 fender japanese strat with 3 single coil gold lace pickups(ALA Clapton strat)..i sold it on evilbay a few months ago..I also sold a schecter 7 string a few months ago also on evilbay

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My brother has an early 80's USA Strat he modded with EMG SA's (SSS) and a Floyd. The SA's sound incredible and completely noiseless. Not being a purist I think it made that Strat a gazillion times better.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i picked up the american strat..i just need the pickups now..pics of the new guitar are in the modded strat thread..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been working on a few other projects so I didn't get this PU set yet..I got the strat in but I have to take out the new fender noiseless pickups that were just put in..they'll be up on evilbay..:)

I did start my pedalboard setup and bought 3 pedals today for it..I have a hollowbody project guitar that I am working on as well..Adding a Gibson Classic 57 humbucker and a Seymour Duncan Sh-2 in that sucker..Getting a new drumkit as well, a Mapex Pro-M in classic sizes...Thats 1100.00 for that alone..I may work out a deal with Pearl since I moderate the forums there and maybe will do another giveaway or something..I'll snap new pics hopefully soon of all the guitars..my girlfriend bought me a ukulele for my bday..these are funny but cool little toys :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thx much :) She has a sister named Water with a transblue quilt top, OFR, and EMG 85

Lol sounds like you have guitar gas like me:

1. Strat Ultra custom (Fire)
2. Trans Blue Quilt OFR strat (Water)
3. Jem90HAM
4. RG20051
5. RG760FM
6. OFR Swampash strat
7. Kramer Acrylic Red Strat
8. Fernandes Revolver7
9. Custom UV stone/swirl thing with Jem features
10. Flametop LP Custom
11. LP Classic