Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody mess with one of these yet? I need to buy a practice amp with two inputs for teaching and these things look pretty cool. Any other suggestions for teaching amp?

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Heard a guy at a local guitar shop (the owner of the store actually, I believe) jamming on one of these things, and I gotta say I'm impressed by the sound. The guy was getting awesome tone, so I had to peak around the wall of Marshalls to see what he was playing through, and it was this tiny little thing. Then he started jamming with some of the backing tracks, and they didn't suck. I gotta say, if I had someone just learning guitar, I'd tell them to get one of those.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I dont think its too expensive for a practise amp, maybe a little expensive for someones first amp. I have read various reviews of these things, and every guitar magazine seems to love it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you want a fairly inexpensive first amp for practice then go with a Spider II or something. But if it's not your first amp, then you'll maybe want to look into something a bit more pricy but also more to your liking.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I'm not saying anything about a first amp or anything, but with a $360 list price, it seems to me a little pricey for a 15 watt 8" speaker amp.
I know it does other things but it would be nice to have a bigger amp for that much money.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically I need to find an amp with 2 instrument inputs and an auxillary in as well for teaching. Definitely not my first amp, but I would like something that is gonna be worth it for a practice amp as well. I figure if I can cover the teaching and practicing with one amp I can save some cash.

·
Registered
347 Posts
EL JIZZY BUMPO!

Tried to play one of these at GC the other day, but I couldn't get the kids out of the way. I'd love to hear what anyone might have to say about it. The idea of having 50 full backing tracks to jam over is really appealing...

One of them is labeled "Viking"! WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT!?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I played one of these at GC a few weeks ago, and was so impressed with it that I immediately came home and put my Vox AD15VT up for sale. For being SS/digital, I thought the tones were pretty good. Add the ability to jam along with bass/drum tracks (to create your own bass/drum tracks) and plug in a CD/MP3 player, and it's a winner all the way around.

I've got a bunch of stuff on e-bay this week, and once it all sells, the G-DEC is the first thing on my list of new toys to pick up. I'll post some sample clips when I get it.

--B

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i've been interested in this amp for the same teaching purposes. i saw it demoed at NAMM last year and was inpressed at the possibilities for a teaching studio. the other idea i'm interested in for a teaching studio is the Boss BR900CD that has all the FX, drum machine and the ability to hand a CD to the student to go home and practice with immediately is very appealing. both of these together (BR900 CD & GDEC) seem like they would be an amazing way to help students get hands on learning without breaking your personal bank account.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My buddy has one he bought just to mess around with, he originally got it for his daughter, but she soon lost interest in guitar, so we messed around witht the amp a little the other day. I must say i love the drum loops/bass lines that is has, i rememer him just setting the amp up to play a bluesy drum loop/bass line, and we just sat there and used it as a standalone drum machine so to speak, since we didnt have a bass player in the house, we both used are own amps to play with it, its pretty badass, other than the drum loops/bass lines, it doesnt really have that much to offer except a tuner, and some cheezy effects. The bass lines are very nice indeed though. The drum loops/bass lines are very addictive, we let all of them play and just improvised to them, and we came up with some pretty sick ****! The amp models are pretty crappy sounding i thought, pretty boring sounding, but i guess something has to comprimised somewhere.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
its pretty good in terms of backin stuff it does, but the actual guitar sound from it is pretty "bees arguin in a lunch box"!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts