Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Revolting!

I thought the idea of direct mounting was to get the pickup seated as directly as possible onto the surface below it with as little rom for movement as possible. This seems to remove as much wood as possible?!?!?!

And don't get me started on the faux neck through body stripes...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the body stripes are awful, somebody took the day off this guitar was made. The clear cavity cover screams, take a look at this new technology and how much it costs!

I couldn't imagine lining up the mounting spring/screw to put new pickups in it either.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Dumb.
If fender was smart the first thing they would've done was paid Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, or maybe Satriani to start talking about the great tonal improvements you get from the extra wood being removed as it allows the strings to vibrate more freely since there is less mass directly below the pickups or some such nonsense. Then the thing would sell like crazy.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Eh, the whole "direct-mount" vs "pickguard" vs "ring" debate has always struck me as pretty dumb - they all can work well, and all have pros and cons. I'm all for trying new approaches, though. For me, the biggest problem with this is it has to be used with a fixed bridge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Neither... The point, is to capture the look of a classic longboard (SURFBOARD), which it does. I grew up on the beach surfing in Southern California, so I guess that's why it appeals to me. :cool: I also, like a Strat without a pickguard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This axe falls in to that rare category where I think it looks cool, but I'd never want to own one. I can see the attraction though, it's a cool looking guitar.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guys on Strat talk are GASsing for this pretty hard, I'd like to see a couple reviews... find out if people display this guitar backwards so you can see the underside of the pups.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It sounds like an otherwise great HSS design and with a Shawbucker to boot. The wood design and the clear back plate are cool but seem to be merely gimmiks. It shouldn't sound all that different than a regularly constructed HSS strat with Shawbucker and N3 noiseless single coils. In the end you have a nice playing electric guitar with no 60 Hz hum and that's a plus, but two regular vintage single coils would also have been as good, too.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
It sounds like an otherwise great HSS design and with a Shawbucker to boot. The wood design and the clear back plate are cool but seem to be merely gimmiks. It shouldn't sound all that different than a regularly constructed HSS strat with Shawbucker and N3 noiseless single coils. In the end you have a nice playing electric guitar with no 60 Hz hum and that's a plus, but two regular vintage single coils would also have been as good, too.
The N3s HAVE to be better than the first gen Fender Noiseless pickups, simply because I've never played such lifeless pieces of crap in my life. :lol: Thankfully though, pickups are a pretty easy swap and there are SOME good noiseless options out there.

I also dislike most Fender singlecoils anyway - the tone is fine, but the vintage magnet stagger makes NO sense, and forces you to keep them further away from the strings than you might otherwise be able to do, robbing you of a bit of output. It's 2015, why can't we just have an appropriate stagger? :lol:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Dumb.
If fender was smart the first thing they would've done was paid Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, or maybe Satriani to start talking about the great tonal improvements you get from the extra wood being removed as it allows the strings to vibrate more freely since there is less mass directly below the pickups or some such nonsense. Then the thing would sell like crazy.
Yeah but how good can a guitar without paint be? We all know that black paint has heat absorbing properties which warms up guitars and make the tone warmer and much sweeter sounding. IMO, that is the real secret to Gilmour tone. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The N3s HAVE to be better than the first gen Fender Noiseless pickups, simply because I've never played such lifeless pieces of crap in my life. :lol: Thankfully though, pickups are a pretty easy swap and there are SOME good noiseless options out there.

I also dislike most Fender singlecoils anyway - the tone is fine, but the vintage magnet stagger makes NO sense, and forces you to keep them further away from the strings than you might otherwise be able to do, robbing you of a bit of output. It's 2015, why can't we just have an appropriate stagger? :lol:
I think that's why my first Fender, a used late-70s tele, had Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders installed. It had some of the tele properties, mostly in middle position, but neck and especially bridge sounded more humbucker like and had lots of gain. It was a great guitar, tone wise, for soloing and I actually got used to it but it did have tiny frets, round radius, and fat neck. A few years later I saw the Jacksons and RGs and that totally blew the doors off of a tele in terms of firepower and speed. I still should have kept it and got ESP and Charvel in those years.

Are the Yygwie DiMarzios or Duncans good stacked single coils?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts