Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that pretty much everybody agrees that the Vintage Noiseless pickups suck. But I was wondering about the SCN pickups. Anybody who has used them, what do you think? Are they any better than the Vintage Noiseless (as Fender would have us believe)? Do they sound like Strat pickups?

I am expecting to pick up a set of Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups soon anyway, but I was curious what you guys thought of the SCNs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Vintage Noiseless are kind of a strange beast. They are certainly dead quiet, but I found them to be somewhat bland sounding unless you use a fair amount of EQ. I have not played with different pots and caps, though--just the factory ones.

If you are looking at DiMarzio, check out their Area 58 and 61 pickups. They are the updated Virtual Vintage line.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there at least two versions of the Noiseless pickups? I remember playing them in a Deluxe strat right about when they first hit the market (think it was a deluxe, anyway), and them being absolutely sterile and lifeless. However, I think I recall being told that they've since redesigned them, and the newer versions are quite a bit better...?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there at least two versions of the Noiseless pickups? I remember playing them in a Deluxe strat right about when they first hit the market (think it was a deluxe, anyway), and them being absolutely sterile and lifeless. However, I think I recall being told that they've since redesigned them, and the newer versions are quite a bit better...?
Yes, the [current] American Deluxe uses the SCN pickups. They are the new "improved" version of the noiseless pups, which Fender claims are better. I was just wondering whether real users found them "less sterile" or just hype.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So it seems that pretty much everybody agrees that the Vintage Noiseless pickups suck. But I was wondering about the SCN pickups. Anybody who has used them, what do you think? Are they any better than the Vintage Noiseless (as Fender would have us believe)? Do they sound like Strat pickups?

What vintage noiseless pickups you are refering to Fender or Dimarzio? I haven't heard anything bad about the dimarzios.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts