Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I tried it, but quickly put it down.

The neck is narrow and bulky, and the thick lacquer makes the neck sticky for someone living in a hot and humid place like Houston.

Decent looking though.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Jem7vwh, How does the neck compare to a standard strat? To me, my strat neck is a little bulky but not too much where it's uncomfortable. Then again, I rarely play my strat because I've been hooked on 7-strings for a while.;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am into the style of three single coils top mounted on a carved body.
the washburn is $339 and the fender is $629. I wonder if the washburn will be as good with duncan or dimarzio pickups. one reviewer said the the showmaster sounded fluid-ish with the neck pickup. if that's because of the setneck construction, I will definitely go for it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just picked one up. I had been playing one at a local shop for about 3 weeks and finally decided to buy it.

Personally I loved the feel of the guitar. The neck is very fast and smooth. I have not had a problem with the neck sticking yet and this is the only guitar I have been playing the last few days.

A couple of people told me to stay away from it since it was Korean but i could not get over how comfortable and playable it was. It has great sustain and the Seymour Duncan Pick Ups are awesome. It has a very deep rich tone.

Once I bought it, I had the luthier who works at the shop take a look, and asked him to do a nice set-up and he said there was nothing he could do. He thought the guitar was perfect. And this was right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I played one a few days ago in one of the local shops. This was the korean version. The frets were crowned really well, but the ends looked AWFUL, and the fretboard was covered in that pale cream like buffing compoung. Aside from that and bad action it played fairly well for a korean guitar. I could dig a usa made version i think, but i wish the neck wasnt so sticky. Basically it feels similar to a jackson. Isnt that odd.....

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Flobanez said:
That Washburn is nice. :)
I just thought that too.
I have never seen that particular model over here in the UK. I have obviously seen the ones with humbuckers and the like......but not the Washburn X Series with 3 single coils. As you said, looks nice.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Setnecks and single coils has a tighter sound than single coils and a bolt on. I prefer the latter but the setneck strats are not too bad. Haven't played one in a while though, but they have a unique tone to them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts