Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of some help from those of you who know a lot about Fender. What is the differance between the Yngwie Malmsteen Signature guitars that were made in Japan versus those made in the USA? Or all they all made in Japan? One has recently come to my attention which is made in Japan, but I thought the Signature Series were all made in America.

I think there is both a Japanese and American Custom Shop from what I can tell from the research I've conducted online, but is there a difference between the same model made in one or the other? Can someone help me?

I know that seemingly across the board, Japanese guitars are just as good as American guitars, but is this the case with the Fender line too?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Im not sure of spec differences, but if quality is all you are worried about, dont be. I;ve had a couple Japanese Fenders and they were great.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I was wondering about that, I wouldnt think they could get $25K for Yngwie. He's not Clapton, SRV or EVH. I would think around $10K though.

·
Registered
595 Posts
yah 10k sounds right i heard about this.
and anyways who cares if its japenese i own a jap strat with a locking tremelo from the 80s the thing plays better than americans nowadays in my opinion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yah 10k sounds right i heard about this.
and anyways who cares if its japenese i own a jap strat with a locking tremelo from the 80s the thing plays better than americans nowadays in my opinion.
I own both US and MIJ fenders, the Japanese make great reissues...and the US are very good if you want a modern strat. I still believe my MIJ 50's blackie is one of the best strats ever built, lots of sustain and clear bell like tones aplenty.

I would buy the MIJ Malmsteen if I were you, and with the change you can also get the Blackmore and Maiden signature models!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was wondering about that, I wouldnt think they could get $25K for Yngwie. He's not Clapton, SRV or EVH. I would think around $10K though.
I don't think who the replica is made from that dictates the price. I think it is the labor involved with creating 25 or so exact replicas; down to weight and smell, and wood grain etc. Not to mention one CS luthier from start to finish. Street prices may drop if demand is not there, but MSRP will be through the roof... ex. Jeff Beck Esquire.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Come on, Yngwie allways plays different guitars, i mean Vai plays EVO, FLO etc., clapton used to play blackie, SRV - #1, David Gilmour - his black-guard stratocaster, EVH - 5150... but Yngwie just plays his scalloped strats I have seen a lot of his gig videos on u tube and he almost never plays the same guitar... Maybe am wrong but i think the YJM guitar is not a LEGEND like blackie etc...
I like him alot, he's great, he is a legend but his guitar is not if u know what i mean...

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I don't think who the replica is made from that dictates the price. I think it is the labor involved with creating 25 or so exact replicas; down to weight and smell, and wood grain etc. Not to mention one CS luthier from start to finish. Street prices may drop if demand is not there, but MSRP will be through the roof... ex. Jeff Beck Esquire.
Yeah, but the Beck was only $15K list. I know what your saying about the labor, but I'm Clapton, EVH, SRV draw more since they were bigger names and people outside of guitar players would want those too.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
I actually the real "Lenny" right next to the copy, and for $15k Fender couldn't even get the color right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to update this a bit, I ended up buying the guitar and it's great! It's an 89-90 model, one of the earlier ones. My first experience with scalloped frets and I'm really digging them! Somehow I feel like they add a mellower tone overall. Almost more accoustic sounding.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well actually this was a used one that was being sold locally, so I haven't tried out any of the US models, but from what I've learned, apparently one of the differances of the two is that the Japanese model is an basswood body, while the US model is alder. It's a cool guitar for sure!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts