Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm in the middle of a material finish project and I'd like some input. The guitar is an ash body covered with a fern material, matched with an Ibanez ultra neck. I'm trying to decide what color pickguard and hardware to order, and any recs would be appreciated. The finish is still rough because I haven't sanded down the sealer or applied the gloss coats. The 2 pickguards I show are just for samples. One I covered in the same material as the body; the white pearl is off another guitar. Fern will probably remain an S-S-S setup.

So be creative! Any ideas?

Here are the links:
With Fern Pickguard

With White Pearl Guard

Thanks!
Bert

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice job! That looks nice.

I'd stick with chrome hardware (I hate gold and I think black would make the guitar look cheap LOL)

Hard choice, here are some opinions:

- Pearl pickguard: green pups for an early Vai-ish vibe, white pups for a more classic look

- Fern pickguard: I think white pups and knobs would look awesome on that green, very elegant. I'd go with that for now.

But if you want a guitar that will make people turn their heads and scratch them thinking 'WTF', then get a clear pickguard that shows all the insides, and shockingly bright pickups, all different (yellow, orange, pink, LNG, that kind of thing). That would be an axe with personality!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good ideas -- thanks! This guitar is actually a test run before I do this to an old RV470. That RV does have a clear pickguard, so maybe I'll try something like you suggested on that one.

I'm also wondering about lots of other pickguard colors on this one -- I saw some interesting ones on the web (lots in the auctions), like fake birds eye maple, real wood, blue or green pearl... Plus, there's always straight black - seems like green guitars can look pretty nice with solid black guards. More ideas?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree with the other guys.
Leave the hardware chrome.
As for the pickups, I'd go with one of the following:

• White pickups for a classy look
• Bright green for a more flashy look
• Black EMGs

I would definately make it a H/S/S config though, not an S/S/S...
Not only does that limit the tonal options you have, it also just looks goofy on anything other than a real strat.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I like the pearloid guard. As for the hardware, chrome would be fine, but if it was me I'd like to see some gold just set in there to be sure.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd definitely go with the fern pickguard. Those last two were kind of hideous. As for hardware, i'd go with either chrome or gold, but I'm leaning towards gold right now just because I think it would add more to the guitar's appearance. As for pickup colors, i'd go with either white or a bright green color. Oh, and if possible I would agree with what someone said earlier and make it an H-S-S config instead of an S-S-S config. I don't even think most strats pull off the S-S-S thing very well and you get a lot more sonic diversity out of an H-S-S config.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well, I guess I will pick the fern guard, since it is about the only way to make it look like it doesn't have a guard at all (I don't like pickguards.) With the fern pickguard, go for gold hardware (normally wouldn't pick gold, but it looks good on green).

If you go with the white pearl pickguard, go for white pickups and chrome hardware. The black and purple pickguards look awful.

But that's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, you guys are right -- the black and purple looked pretty bad. I was trying to be creative, but I can see those colors wreck the fern effect.

I took your advice and did the routing for the humbucker (dremels are my best friend -- if you screw up, you screw up little). I also settled on gold hardware, mainly because I had a few parts around from other projects. So I'm getting closer. Once it's all together, I'll try both pickguards and see which one looks best. Thanks for all the input!

Bert

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
why not just use a clear pickguard? Since you don't like pickguards a high quality clear would shine through and probably look the same if not better then the fern one, because you wouldn't have to worry about the two different patterns not lining up around the edges. Like on the white one you showed, it covered the right side really well, but up around the top right horn you could see a little of the fern. I know that is kind of a petty issue but it made a difference to me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If the body is routed out from the top and designed to be covered up with a guard, you can't just throw a clear guard on it or you have to look at the ugly swimming-pool routing. That would be the ugliest thing of all. If it was clean routed, a clear pickguard would be the obvious choice.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
nightfiend14 said:
I can't believe that I didn't pay attention to how it was routed. You are correct, I feel ashamed of myself for not noticing that.
Mate, don't hit yourself over that! Some people like transparent/visible innards anyway.

I would go for the fern guard and gold or "goldish" hardware. weathered white pup covers and knobs. Make it look like a junglestrat of sorts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts