Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn, just read on the site that SV's 77BRMR has a Sustainer build into it. Anybody on the forum has done so already on a Jem? The thing is cheap, so I'm gonna order a FSK-101 an hook it up to the Neck Breed of my 77BRMR :p

This should be interesting, I'll let you know how things work out :-D

D

·
Registered
21 Posts
good luck....I would prob have a pro install it though (unless you don't mind cutting into your new ax). I wanna do the same thing though when I get my VWH....I wish I could find a pedal that did the same thing as those pickups. What a cool effect.

·
Registered
212 Posts
dude just remember the FSK-101 REPLACES the neck pickup and only functions as a sustainer so your minus the neck pickup, if u want to at least have a single coil in the neck to have a neck pickup you should hold out for the FSK-401 thats a sustainer=single coil neck pickup, just a warning in case you didnt know

·
Registered
959 Posts
jem_fanatic said:
dude just remember the FSK-101 REPLACES the neck pickup and only functions as a sustainer so your minus the neck pickup, if u want to at least have a single coil in the neck to have a neck pickup you should hold out for the FSK-401 thats a sustainer=single coil neck pickup, just a warning in case you didnt know
The FSK-101 has the humbucker which is the Driver & a single neck Pickup.. This works as a neck pickup & a sustainer when turned on. The sustainer also can be on with your other positions. The FSK-401 is only a single neck Driver, and come with a humbucker for the bridge. This kit is pre-wired for you.

Check Facts on website:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer.htm

I installed one in my project guitar:
http://www.bluealien.net/guitars/nat/

Also if you plan on doing this, you should have a real tech rout out the guitar, because you have to take out a lot of wood for the Board from the back of the guitar. I have see some install it under the pickguard, but its very tight, and since the 77BRMR is mirror finish you have to be careful..

good luck :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't forget there are other makers for example ManicMusic produce the "Sustainiac Stealth" and "stealth plus" models, I have one as standard in a Jackson DK2S.

From what I have read hear about the Fernandes it appears to be a much better system, basically it has:

- same 3 mode switch
- same on/off switch
- neck pickup (singlecoil) is also the sustainer driver
- neck pickup works like normal pickup when sustainer switched off
- neck pickup when sustainer is off is an active pickup and its gain is USER controllable so it can match the output of the guitars other pickups
- the sustainer has a gain knob to determine how quickly the effect kicks in

The major benefit is the driver acts like a normal active pickup and has a good tone and the fact you can tailor its output to balance it with the other pickups is really cool AND the sustainer routing and board is MUCH SMALLER so you don't lose so much tone out of the body because you don't have a huge cavity.

Go to the local music shop and try out a DK2S (don't buy it!) I had a fernandes sustainer ages ago custom fitted to a Jackson SL2H soloist and I found the neck pickup (singlecoil) weak when the sustainer was off, has the tech changed since the early 90's??

Check out:www.sustainiac.com compare it with the fernandes and buy which one suits you best. Personally unless someone here can verify the fernandes has a good "normal" pickup I will invest in getting the Sustainiac Stealth Plus installed into my DBK :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had Alan at Maniac Music install a Sustainiac in my BRMR and he did a great job and sells an awesome product.
He was also quite reasonable priced for the install.
Here's a pic:

After speaking with Alan for a short time you'll find his customer service skills are second to none. He can answer EVERY question you could possibly have about these devices. He knows all the ins and outs and every installation option for the system and he'll spend as much time as needed to help you find the setup that is right for you and your sytle of playing. Another tidbit to note, he's also installed Sustainiacs into two BRMRs for Steve within the last year or so.

The Sustainiac driver can be used with any bridge pickup whereas the Fernandes is designed to be used with a Fernandes bridge pickup. I'd guess there are ways to use another type, but I figured why make the install more complicated?

The Sustainiac's circuit board is not conected to the mini toggles and can be hidden beneath the pickguard and the toggles placed just about anywhere. - I had mine installed between the volume and tone controls because I didn't want to bother routing a cavity in the back of the guitar and making a backplate just for two switches. That's a necessity with a Fernandes too and I didn't want to compromise the guitar any more than absolutely necessary.

When the sustainer is not in use, I have full use of the driver as an active neck pickup. Every position of my 5-way switch functions exactly like it should. No pickup selection options are sacrificed by the driver. So don't think you're going to lose your neck pickup over it because you won't.

Installed correctly, both sustainers will do the job and put a smile on your face the first time you turn it on. After owning one, I'm convinced it's one of the coolest mods you can do to a guitar, (well, lights are pretty cool too 8)).
I'd be surprised if you were sorry you installed one in your guitar.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Question is, which sustainer is better?

Who here has the Fernandes top of the range and the Maniac Music Stealth Plus? I think this could do with it's own thread hmm.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sustainiac Stealth plus seems like the way to go. Does it come with the single coil next to it? And if it's active, does that mean this setup would work just fine with an EMG in the bridge?
-Chris

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
highspeedonice said:
I had Alan at Maniac Music install a Sustainiac in my BRMR and he did a great job and sells an awesome product.
Here's a pic:

After speaking with Alan for a short time you'll find his customer service skills are second to none. He can answer EVERY question you could possibly have about these devices. He knows all the ins and outs and every installation option for the system and he'll spend as much time as needed to help you find the setup that is right for you and your sytle of playing. Another tidbit to note, he's also installed Sustainiacs into two BRMRs for Steve within the last year or so.

The Sustainiac driver can be used with any bridge pickup whereas the Fernandes is designed to be used with a Fernandes bridge pickup. I'd guess there are ways to use another type, but I figured why make the install more complicated?

The Sustainiac's circuit board is not conected to the mini toggles and can be hidden beneath the pickguard and the toggles placed just about anywhere. - I had mine installed between the volume and tone controls because I didn't want to bother routing a cavity in the back of the guitar and making a backplate just for two switches. That's a necessity with a Fernandes too and I didn't want to compromise the guitar any more than absolutely necessary.

When the sustainer is not in use, I have full use of the driver as an active neck pickup. Every position of my 5-way switch functions exactly like it should. No pickup selection options are sacrificed by the driver. So don't think you're going to lose your neck pickup over it because you won't.

Installed correctly, both sustainers will do the job and put a smile on your face the first time you turn it on. After owning one, I'm convinced it's one of the coolest mods you can do to a guitar, (well, lights are pretty cool too 8)).
Very nice.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
highspeedonice said:
Here's a pic:

It that the Stealth or the "Plus" version?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts