Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people here in the Jemsite community would be interested in seeing nice figured tops (ala Brian Moore) on Ibanez guitars.

I always seem to be the only freak who complains that the Ibanez figured tops are lacking.  Anyone else agree or am I just getting old?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep, you're getting old! :cheesy:

I have loved the quilted maple look for so long I went and had one put on a 560. It's still under construction so I don't have any pics yet.

The problem I see with the Ibanez tops is not so much the grade of the wood, but the quality of clear coat. They seem a bit cloudy. They could, of course, use better colors to show off the grain....:biggrin:

J>

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yeah... Ibanez doesn't seem to have their finishing techniques down for getting the most out of a nicely figured piece of wood. It looks to me like they put on heavily pigmented translucent finishes rather than dying the wood to emphasize the grain and then putting a LIGHT colour tint in the clear.

Tons of other makers do it waaay better. Check out some of Tom Anderson's quilted tops. Yum! Tiger Eye Burst anyone?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Kirk...I'm with you all the way on better tops from Ibanez.  I think they hit flame tops on the mark from time to time, but rarely a good quilt!  Maybe I'm getting old too. :)

Vaibanez...who is doing the work on your 560?
Greg

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The reason their tops don't look soo "Deep" is because of the process. They are generic with it. To get them looking the best, you need to stain them a darker color, or complimentary color to your end result - let it get down in the deep grain. Sand it back, then apply your color. This is too time consuming for what they are selling them for.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
To me it's no big deal. The thing I'm interested in is a guitar that plays and sounds good. All of my Ibanez guitars fall under that pretty well. The one thing that bugs me a bit is my S570MQM was supposed to be a color called bright blue burst and it's really more of a purple. Still a favorite guitar though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts