Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I own an older high-end Ibanez bass from about 1993 which features oval-shaped abalone inlays, and a "Custom Made" inlay at the 24th fret. Around each of the inlays is a surplus of filler/glue, which creates a thin black line. To my mind, it is a manufacturing fault, and shouldn't really be there. It somewhat cheapens the appearance of an otherwise great instrument. I've seen it on several other Ibanez guitars too.

I've also owned a PRS Custom 24, which featured quite complicated bird-shaped abalone inlays. These were absoloutely faultless, with no surplus filler present at all.

I'm considering buying a J-Custom, possibly even a high-end Prestige. I'm quite impressed by the J-Customs that feature a vine inlay...

Can anyone tell me what the quality of the inlay work on J-Customs is like?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
First off, PRS guitars use CNC machines for the bulk majority of thier inlays. While pretty much all modern guitars nowadays have thier inlays more of less cut by CNC machines, what seperates a lower end model to a higher end model is really just how precise the machine is(higher end models use the same machines just programed to a much tighter tolerance and also use small router bits which are more prone to breaking). The filler you see on guitars is not a manufacturing fault and is very common even on super high end Martin guitars because all the work was done by hand.

The inlay work on the J-Customs are on par with the PRS stuff if that's what you're worried about (I don't see any filler on any of my J-Customs).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts