Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so.... I think i already asked this question about pickups before, but here it is again. I done a bit more research and alottt of people are saying PAF Pro for the neck, but then there's people who say that the Norton is good too so....

1. Which neck pickup Norton or PAF Pro??

2. for the middle I have noooo freekin clue

3. For the bridge, I reallyy want a EVo cause I like the sound of them butt the body of my Ibanez is Basswood and I heard they sound like crap so I was thinking...evo2? or steve's special , tone zone anyone?? hows the tonezone/ air norton combo?

oh yeah Im looking for some good shred pups ( vai/gilbert/ petrucci. cool prog stuff like that)

looking for lottssss of responsessss, thanks a bunch yalllll.
Steve

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
FSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-1 For the middddddle positionnn alll the wayyy!!!!

Tone Zone is a good choice forrr bridge...

Evo 2 isn'tt bad, eitherrr.

But they both sound completely diffffferent.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sorry Steve but having never met you it would be impossible for any of us to give you a considered recomendation on pickups that you would love. All we can do is tell you about pickups that we like, my/our tastes and yours may differ greatly and the jemsite members cannot be held accountable for any duff purchases.

*I wish somebody would make a sticky thread about "How on Earth are we supposed to make a buying decision for you?"

No offence intended Steve but the "which pickups should I buy?" questio is imho clogging up the flow of jemsite. DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan etc etc have very detailed description on their websites that give information that far outways one of us saying "Yeah dude I've got such an such, they totaly rock!"

*exit rant mode*

Ben

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Paf prooo and tone zoneeee for the bridgeeeee is the best combooooo ever IMO, in fact the only pups that I like from dimarziooooosss :lol: ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohh I know Ben, Im just asking people for their experiences with them, which pickup is better in their own mind. just asking for opinions to aid me.

jaxadam: hmm the Fs-1 looks awesome I'm liking the sound of it. if its good enough for herman li, and for you its good enough for moi. pluss its the only single coil i've heard anyone recommend

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If it's purley opinions you're after then I'd say PAF pro in both neck and bridge then HS3 in the middle.

Hope you get what you're looking for mate,
Ben

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
jaxadam: hmm the Fs-1 looks awesome I'm liking the sound of it. if its good enough for herman li, and for you its good enough for moi. pluss its the only single coil i've heard anyone recommend
Trust me, you won't regret it.

Don't go with any of the HS-2, HS-3 stuff with high output humbuckers. You'll get tons of suggestions for those, but they do not hold up like the FS-1 does.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm Paul Gilbert uses dual Paf pro's ....
well how does these set ups sound?

Bridge: Paf Pro
Middle: FS-1
Neck:paf Pro
or
Bridge: Steve's special
Middle: fs-1
Neck: paf pro
or
Bridge: Tone Zone
Middle:Fs-1
Neck: Air Norton

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well I do have experience with a combo with the same N & B but with other Mid, I DO like less powerfull pickups in the midle so I have there an HS-3, and that combo sounds very very nice and sweet both in a RG570 an in a S450.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm think i could rule out the dual paf pro one, i think i want something with just a bit more output for the bridge position, but its still perfect in the neck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry for the double post but I just heard some random austrialian guy on youtube showing off his pickups he had a PAF PRO in the bridge and a tone Zone in the neck and I gotta say that sounded awesomeee, anyone else use this combo?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so I think I've finally reached a final decision, thanks to this thread,
Bridge- Tone Zone
Middle-FS 1
Neck- Air Norton

that seems to be the best for the tone I want, or would a Paf-Pro also be good in the neck instead? with the Tone Zone Bridge?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts