Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently joined a band and all I have in the way of amps is my little Fender combo practice amp, whick obviously won't cut it for gigging.

I would apreciate recommendations. My budget is around $700, and I can maybe push it a little higher, but not much, so try to consider that the limit.

There all already several "which amp" topics on the forum, which I have read and I have narrowed down my choices.

I play metal, shred, and hard rock, so a good distortion is a must. I use EMGs in a Jackson DK2.

I want either:

A pre-amp/poweramp rack style setup, with ADA MP-1/2 Pre-amp (or something, I don't know many pre-amps) and a good power amp to drive a 2x12 cab for gigs.

Or

A good 212 combo:

Randall RM80
Peavey 5150
Peavey XXX
Mesa Nomad

or something similiar to the above within my price range. I don't rely so much on brand name so any other brand suggestions would be welcome.

Also any half stacks similiar to the above.

I really have been looking at the 5150. Do you think I can find a 2x12 5150 combo in this price range? How about Laneys in this range. I would prefer tubes, but how do you guys feel about say, a Randall RH-100, which is solid state and easily in my price range? I would love a tube amp but I by no means insist on it.

Thanks for any advice on the above, and if you know of any other good amps I should look at let me know.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
yeah you should be able to find a 5150 combo for under 700 shipped to you .

here is a new scratch and dent 5150(well 6505 but they are the exact same thing) for 779

http://www.american-musical.com/item--i-DSP-PEV6505.html

(just take out the dash)

musici-ansfriend has the peavey xxx super 40 efx 1x12 combo on sale for 499 . There is also a guy trying to sell his triple x 2x12 combo on another fourm i am a member of . I'd be more than happy to get you the guys e-mail so you could see about working out a deal.

5150 combos on the bay now
Here is a pretty good buy on an xxx 2x12

Like i said there is a guy trying to sell his xx 2x12 combo om another forum and I'll get you all his info so you can get in touch with him if you'd like .
just pm me

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You can get a 2x12 Mesa Nomad 55 for $800-900 on ****, maybe cheaper but they usually run around that.

Peaveys will be cheaper, so decide what sound you want.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mesa will last longer on the road with you bro, but the amps you listed are all good for what you wanted & will be ok if you look after them. look out for moisture! it will screw up any amp, so get a cover for your amp if possible in the deal.

goodluck bro!- Jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Does anyone have a link to a good survival guide for tube amps, I haven't ever owned one so I don't know how not to get shocked, (getting the electricity out of the caps after I turn it off etc.). I do know a little about pre-amp tubes and power amp tubes and biasing, the technical stuff, but maybe a guide to keeping the amp alive when gigging and using power attenuation?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.