Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have trouble with their fingertips on their fretting hand? My specific problem is that the skin on the my the tip of my index finger is constantly splitting. As long as I've been playing, this has been the case. It's frustrating, as it often leads to extended periods of time where I can't play. Even when it is healed, I find that it has calloused unevenly causing my fingertip to catch on the strings. My career goal is to become a professional musician and I've been practicing alot more in recent years. However, the more I practice, the bigger an obstical this seems to become. This irritating problem is seriously limiting the amount of practice I can put in and I would be glad of any advice as to how I could remedy this problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hate to sound weird, but Moisturize !!!!! use a good non greasy hand cream...i am a mechanic, and if my hands dry out, they split...drink a lot of water and use a good hand lotion, glob it on before you go to sleep...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I used to have this happen a lot in my early 20's, within my first decade playing. I used to put NewSkin on it. Sometimes even super glue when it was really bad. The good news is, it can get better over time. I still have it happen once in awhile but not nearly as much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do use nickel wound strings but I don't think it's allegic reaction since it's only on my index finger. It's not seasonal either. There are a couple of things I've found that might help though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dan, I used to have the same problem on my index and middle finger. I applied vaseline to the tips of those 2 fingers and avoid having my hands in water for a long period of time cuz it softens the skin at the tips(not in a good way) and then when they would dry out they would split even more. You can prolly find a good moisturizer that is less grerasy than vaseline. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree about the moisturising. Calluses shouldn't really feel like wood or look like you're wearing a thimble.

Also try smoothing the surface and edges with frequent and fairly gentle use of an emery board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts