Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the happy owner of an RGT3102 made in 2003. I love that guitar, but I'm curious to know what kind of finish was used on it. Because it's really weak. On my other guitars, if I drop them or accidently hit them against a door or something, pretty much nothing will happen. Maybe they'll get a small scratch or dent. Nothing I care about.

But on the RGT the finnish will fall off in small flakes so even the wood is bare.

How come it's so weak?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
my rg2550z (2008) has a ridiculously thin finish. the smallest bumps knock off paint and expose the bare wood and you can see the finish is like...less than 1mm thick?

i have an old rg570 and the paint + the clearcoat is like...4-5mm thick? it's like plated with steel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my rg2550z (2008) has a ridiculously thin finish. the smallest bumps knock off paint and expose the bare wood and you can see the finish is like...less than 1mm thick?

i have an old rg570 and the paint + the clearcoat is like...4-5mm thick? it's like plated with steel.
True, have you noticed that it doesn't have any undercoat (or what the hell you call it)? At least if it has, it has to be a really thin one, either way it chips along with the outer paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts