Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finished a new "outboard" pedal-board that contains (mostly) my "expression-based" pedals. It's the same basic construction (1/2" mdf, tolex covering, angled floor risers) as my main board. Pretty happy with it. Just sharing ideas/successes.
Pic:

And here's one of the outboard alongside my "main" board:

questions/comments welcome. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, chaos, that's a lot of pedals you got there, it makes me think about:

Jimmy:smile:
Fear me, for I am Lord of the pedal-tap-dance. Look upon my shiny gold pants and shirtless chest and despair!
:)

It's about versatility, as far as I'm concerned. I can coax just about any type of tone out of my rig at this point. I should be receiving my X100B head in a week or so...world domination to commence in 4...3...2...

;)

How about that beer, Jimmy?
Are you familiar with Reston?

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Bitchin' Bro! I'm going to have one of my buddies at work who has a woodshop create a nice setup for me, its basically going to have a main center and 2 wings, like this really rough sketch:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Fear me, for I am Lord of the pedal-tap-dance. Look upon my shiny gold pants and shirtless chest and despair!
:)

It's about versatility, as far as I'm concerned. I can coax just about any type of tone out of my rig at this point. I should be receiving my X100B head in a week or so...world domination to commence in 4...3...2...

;)

How about that beer, Jimmy?
Are you familiar with Reston?
I'm def. familiar with Reston, I work next door to Dulles Airport and live in Springfield (yeah my commute really suck ass...) I'm up for getting a beer, just let me know whenever you want to get together and we can meet up.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, Chaos.

I'm trying to retire an old Digitech GSP21, and keep adding pedal after pedal. Haven't really settled on a pedal board design. I keep looking for ideas.

Hows the tolex work for keeping pedals in place with just rubber feet, or do you have velcro underneath.

I've toyed with using some snakeskin Tolex purely for aesthetic value.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing that, Chaos.

I'm trying to retire an old Digitech GSP21, and keep adding pedal after pedal. Haven't really settled on a pedal board design. I keep looking for ideas.

Hows the tolex work for keeping pedals in place with just rubber feet, or do you have velcro underneath.

I've toyed with using some snakeskin Tolex purely for aesthetic value.
On the "main" board, I use industrial velcro...those things ain't goin' anywhere, man. :)

On the "expression" board, I have not used velcro as yet...the rubber feet do a pretty good job of keeping the pedals from sliding around on the tolex. That said, I may mount the expression pedals more "permanently" on that particular board...probably by using long screws/bolts mounted from the underside of the board, going straight up through the board, in screwed directly into the little "foot mounting" holes on each of the pedals. I figure doing that will allow me to still use the rubber feet on most of the pedals, and it will be as secure as can be. Anyway, short answer, the tolex does a pretty good job, but since I'm going to be dancing on that board much more heavily than the "main" board (it contains almost exclusively expression pedals, after all), I should probably do something a bit more "permanent".

I'll let you know how that works out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, I'll be real interested in that. That's a real cool idea to secure the expression pedals.

Here's the board design I've been toying with.

The two outside sections are for expression pedals, and two center sections (the back section raised slightly higher) secured through both the expression sections with long bolts and wing nuts (possible just nuts) hidden under the rise of the expression section. That will allow me a little adjustment on the angles of the main pedal section, and the ability to build and add additional expression pedal sections and simply add them to the end of the chain.

The idea is to make this fairly modular so I can simply add section as needed. This design exceeds my current space needs, but I've got designs on several new pedals which would still fit. But GAS always strikes, and I'm trying to design the Ikea pedal board so I can simply add on as needed.

If I go with the Tolex, I plan on buying way more than I need, so the design pattern doesn't change, and I have a ready reserve.

Outside of that, does anyone see any inherent pitfalls in my design plans.

Geoff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts