Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally joined Jemsite to post a build I was doing based off a Perle Guitars Fireman body that I had ordered. I covererd it in a Sapele veneer and stained it dark red. It was cool and I was proud of it, but it was also one of my 1st builds and I was a noob. The main thing was that I didn't fill the grain so I had a textured, pocky top ( you had to look close), but I was like, whatever.. Fast Forward a few years and the guitar isn't getting the play it deserves. I'm not buying guitars lately but I have been doing body builds and refins with excellent results. Long story longer, I have seen a bunch of white Ibby NGD threads lately and I am GASing for a white guitar since I don't have one.

So.....after a sand and some primer, here is where I'm at. I just set the neck, bridge and a dummy set of pickups in it for the pics.

I'm thinking of spraying it with Duplicolor "Clear Effex" which is kind of a chameleon spray that I used on my RG and it worked great. What do you all think? should I do that or leave it bright white? I tell ya, I love sparkles;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
It looks to add the prism effect over whichever color u top with it. I'm curious to see how it does on white now.

Btw, I want Viper Blue for the RG450 DX now. Thanks a ton....lol!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm getting a guitar done by an autobody shop (they've won awards for their paint work). The base is black with silver metallic flake. Over that they are adding a pearl clear coat, which is supposed to give a rainbow type effect (depending on lighting and as you turn or rotate the guitar to see the effect).

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm getting a guitar done by an autobody shop (they've won awards for their paint work). The base is black with silver metallic flake. Over that they are adding a pearl clear coat, which is supposed to give a rainbow type effect (depending on lighting and as you turn or rotate the guitar to see the effect).
I love the pearl paint jobs on cars. that sounds awesome!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I've done a mica-clear over colors before........... it looks cool as hell as your Orange RG shows (I remember that build....awesome).

What I think would be killer AND a little more original would be an Arctic white base, a couple coats of clear, then a really thin mica burst, then cleared to finish.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Ryc on this one too. It'd really showcase the clear effex better. But, just for informational purposes, would that be doable using the spraymax 2K? I don't know how long the clear effex would take to cure, but seems like a narrow window using 1 can?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I missed your suggestions by a few hrs! paint is done and the 1st coat of clear effex just went on. Take about 3 coats at least for it to really show so I will do a few more coats tomorrow and then post some pics. BTW, The paint I used was Krylon Covermax, which I had not seen before but worked awesome.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sprayed 1 can,, think in needs one more can. In the sun you can see it a little though. I want it about twice as noticeable as it is now so I will pick up one more can on the way home from work tomorrow. The stuff dries fast though, which is nice. That dark divot thing is a shadow : )

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Loving the clear-effex. Also, stealing the idea for the blue 450 :)
steal away! I bet it will look great over that blue. I sprayed a 2nd can the other day, I tell ya, its alot more subtle on white. Its kind of pearly right now. I ordered a can of 2K and I'm hoping that will bring the sparkle out a bit more once its sprayed on there. I tried to get some good pics but its really hard to capture on camera. I'll post more pics once the clear coat gets here.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts