Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at first i thought eddie then i saw stevies spanking, and both zappa and vai were using floyd rose style bridges, this is a totaly stupid subject but who used it first? maybe someone else?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I actually have no clue but is probally someone whom we would not expect. Would be an interesting debate of who used it first, Eddie or Steve?

Eddie became a more well known sooner than Steve but Steves knowledge of its possiblites blow eddie outta the water. Being both avid players they both probally started using them when they first hit the market as both are pioneers of the guitar.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i found out that

"In late 1981, early 82, Kramer introduced the Rockinger trem which was one of the first locking nut trems"

but according to another website

"Floyd Rose Original is the oldest model still in production. Since 1977, production models bearing this name are mostly the same as the first model, with only minor change"

so it seems floyd was out first, but who is the first documented case? someone here has to know

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also

"Eddie Van Halen playing a guitar with the Floyd, then dropped the earlier Rockinger tremolo design in favor of the new Floyd Rose unit between June of 1982 and January 1983"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from the stevies spanking video

"frank zappa and steve vai duel each other as they improv stevies spanking in rome italy, 1982"

so it would seem both around the same time as each other,

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm this makes it seem like it was eddie

"He eventually sued Kramer in order to retain his fees, and from what we've heard, he won the suit. The paragraph below goes into the detail of the story of how he co-developed the trem with Edward Van Halen "

·
Registered
804 Posts
I always heard that Floyd Rose worked for (guitar tech) a Jimi Hendrix Impersonator and that it was designed because his strat always went so severely out of tune Floyd came up with the idea..........I think the Locking nut idea came after the actual trem idea.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I found this:

Floyd relocated to the Seattle area and found a machinist who generously donated time on an old bench mill so he could begin production. "My sales pitch was dropping the bar down until the strings were like spaghetti, then releasing it and playing a chord. It was an easy sale!" His second unit went to Randy Hansen, notorious for his Hendrix tribute concert act, and the third to Edward Van Halen. "We had a mutual luthier friend-Lynn Ellsworth-who called Ed and casually asked if he wanted a tremolo that stayed perfectly in tune. 'Uh, yeaaaaah, I think I'd like to see that!" Eddie replied." See the original tremolo he designed for Eddie (right) on the VHII Charvel.

So Floyd owned the first production one and all the other proto's, the Hendrix guy Randy Hansen had the 2nd ever made, then the 3rd to Van Halen.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
well i found out that

"In late 1981, early 82, Kramer introduced the Rockinger trem which was one of the first locking nut trems"

but according to another website

"Floyd Rose Original is the oldest model still in production. Since 1977, production models bearing this name are mostly the same as the first model, with only minor change"

so it seems floyd was out first, but who is the first documented case? someone here has to know
No, if you read it, you'll see "Floyd Rose Original is the oldest model STILL IN PRODUCTION". the Rockinger has been out of production for years, however it WAS first, before the Floyd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts