Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk how many metal players we have but since we’re a big Ibby group we have a lot of allegiance to the great DiMarzio, ARGUABLY best passives since ice cream

now with that said, I’ve tried them all - Lace, Lundgren (passives), to EMG and SDBLACKOUT (actives) to the new proprietary blend of an active preamp with an active eq/circuit board (basically a mini eq/tone computer )

Fishman Fluence is the apex of the pinnacle of pickup development - their tech is Beyond everyone’s and no one comes close to what these suckers can do

I am so impressed i bought two sets of the Carpenter including a carpenter with the Set in it (and I don’t even listen toDeftone)

so if you are looking for something new, fresh and completely the best - absolutely clear, clean, silent, articulate and so loud - they have everything you can want

now I personally chose carpenter because Fishman said it was the Emg 81/85 killer to paraphrase And they were right

finally there is a new king of metal pickups , definitively

what say you?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Idk how many metal players we have but since we’re a big Ibby group we have a lot of allegiance to the great DiMarzio, ARGUABLY best passives since ice cream

now with that said, I’ve tried them all - Lace, Lundgren (passives), to EMG and SDBLACKOUT (actives) to the new proprietary blend of an active preamp with an active eq/circuit board (basically a mini eq/tone computer )

Fishman Fluence is the apex of the pinnacle of pickup development - their tech is Beyond everyone’s and no one comes close to what these suckers can do

I am so impressed i bought two sets of the Carpenter including a carpenter with the Set in it (and I don’t even listen toDeftone)

so if you are looking for something new, fresh and completely the best - absolutely clear, clean, silent, articulate and so loud - they have everything you can want

now I personally chose carpenter because Fishman said it was the Emg 81/85 killer to paraphrase And they were right

finally there is a new king of metal pickups , definitively

what say you?
I have the classics and as far as the technology is concerned, they really are a next level product. I spoke with Frank Falbo who explained how it went down (he brought the technology to Dimarzio who passed on it, then Fishman after he left Dimarzio.) It was developed by NASA who had no use for it, ultimately, but they created a pickup that has the ability to "hear" vibrations up to 80KHz on a printed coil. Then they add filters to adjust the specific frequency response that is desired, so if you know what specific frequencies say a PAF emits, you can emulate that by enhancing or cutting those freqs in the Fluence pickup. Plus they add a second and I heard 3rd voicing coming if not already out, and a 3DB boost, seems like a win-win no matter which set you grab.
I have the Classics and they are in my Blade Strat, it really brought that guitar up a notch, the stock pickups were a tad flat and didn't have "sparkle". They do NOW!
+1 for Fishman Fluence!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bammbamm, you are the ONLY, and I mean ONLY person first of all, that is a founding veteran like myself (and ofc Jono, Rich, Joroenn, and WMerkert) so the fact that you elucidated it better than I did, speaks volumes - Where have you been, I haven't seen you post in so long, but as always, its succinct and poignant

Can I tell you, there is a secret bammbamm....order the "Fishman Wiring Accessory kit" assembly, and you can turn ANY fluence circuit with poles into ANOTHER voicing - split coil tapping

and I mean you can do inner inner, inner outer, outer outer, or in tandem - so im like TOTALLY losing my mind to figure out WHAT to do?

You are a vet, and I have the moderns basically (carpenters are just a scooped EQ), so what do you think? should I coil tap the inner poles, outer poles, or a mix? I can't decide, im about to throw in a double push pull pot to try to max out all options

so far on this ONE guitar I have 8 or 9 tones (passive voice 1, active voice 1, passive voice 2, active voice 2, boosted 6db switch on any, combination tone (and I know it sounds odd but it somehow works, when you put it into middle position and put one voice active and one passive, and then I have one other thing I forgot)

so if you have any idea where I should coil tap, please suggest dude - good to see you bamboo

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Great question, I would have to audition the voicings to see what works best, I mean, I'm pretty straight forward, I am usually content with a 5 way and maybe coil tapping, depending, but even then, I seldom used the coil tap, except for recording. I have Voice 2 on the Tone Pot (pull up), I need to wire in a switch for the 3DB boost, I haven't, yet.
For me, I like the inner taps on positions 2 and 4 of a standard 5 way, that strat "quack" like the tone on "Big Log" by Plant, that is the epitome of the Strat tone for me.
I might update "Skully" My RG550 with Fluence for some added versatility.
Trick is which set? I'm more Progressive Rock/metal than anything else.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude
That is gorgeous

I would think auditioning would be best but I don’t have the option: I’m dropping it off to Peekamoose and I tell Paul just do what you think sounds best, and he always does it perfect (or as close to it as one can get since his unfortunate accident he still healing from)

I boght two push pull pots from Fishman so I’m going to see if he can do outer-outer /inner-inner and then outside and inside / vice versa

if I still have room for two knobs, he said he can fit one for sure , it’s on my rg7620.

we’ll see but

GORGEOUS axe, and Fishman are really nice looking pups , I especially love my carpenter as they glow in dark at night lol

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
yeah, I put a glow in the dark paint on the grooves of the pickups just for a little extra pop.
Le me know what you do and a demo would be cool, as well!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like the Fluence Modern and Fluence Devin set, I have the former in a Daemoness guitar with the usb charger thing. I haven't tried the Carpenter set but I'm assuming they're somehow optimised for lower tunings?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts