Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've started in a project i've been meaning to get underway for a while now, I got an RG body off evil bay to mod into a shred machine. I'm not sure what sort of body it is but looks like an RG570 with AANJ, It's going to be stripped and painted eye burning 80's green. I'll get a maple neck at some point for it and a load of extreame output humbuckers. But here comes my problem, I want to fit 3 humbuckers in it!
I not scared to start chopping wood up but i'm wondering if any of you know what will fit best out of using pickup mounting rings of screwing them straight into the body?
This may just be a really dumb question but I can't work it out at all. What's the differance between using each? How will it effect it?
Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
It looks like a Lo-Trs to me. But I may be wrong, its quite difficult to tell from just a picture like that. Some one will probably be able to tell you for defenite by looking it at though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's an RG470 body. You can tell because it doesn't have a third cover on the back by the input jack.

It will take a Lo-TRS.

-John

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
looks like it could be a 270* body to me, in which case it'd be routed for a TRS or similar. i think the 570's with aanj's had wood-mounted pickups as opposed to pickup rings. i could be wrong (again).

going on the pic on the auction site, i don't know that you'd even fit a middle pickup ring btw the bridge and neck. i reckon i'd just do a swimming pool route for the pickups and fit a scratchplate - hang the pickups off that.

let me know how you go with finding a maple neck. i'm after one for my RG1570 project. :)

*just read other's posts that it could be a 470... either way, will probably be a TRS type bridge.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys, cheers for helping about the trem. I'm quite tempted to cut that section out as well and put an original FR in. I'll soon find out what type of trem slot it has when I get my 570 back off Herc Fede some time soon and I can compare measurements on them both.

As for the pickups I agree about the size of the pick up mounts. I think I may just try and shave the plastic on the middle one down to get it in. I want to try and avoid using a pickguard if at all possible. If I had to I suppose I could really go to town on it and completly chav it out by putting neons under a clear guard. Does anyone know if this has been done before, any pics?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to have a Fender Stratocaster with 3 humbuckers. The humbucker in the middle position was completely useless. So I ended up trading the middle pickup (a Duncan Hot Rails) for a H-H pickguard.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Uthark said:
I used to have a Fender Stratocaster with 3 humbuckers. The humbucker in the middle position was completely useless. So I ended up trading the middle pickup (a Duncan Hot Rails) for a H-H pickguard.
Are you saying hotrails are useless or that mid position humbuckers are useless. I disagree on both counts.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
hey why not go absolutely nuts and fit it with three live wire heavy metal humbuckers, seymour duncan makes em and they are the hottest and most powerful active pickups i've ever heard/played. You'll have to do some routing for a battery compartment but it'll be worth it i assure you, it will be the most skull crushingly powerful shred axe ever.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, i'd seen thar guitar ages ago but couldn't remember if it had 3 or 4 pickups. The PGM model was what inspired me though. I'll have a look at that SD pickup you mentioned, i'm not a big fan of active pickups in guitars but I'll have a look any way. I was looking at the Dimarzio X2N.

ON most pickup companies websites they say about a neck humbucker and a bridge humbucker but which would sound best used in the middle as well?

·
Registered
601 Posts

i used a dremel drill to cut out a hole for the middle pickup, came up alright, i dont use the middle bucker tho :) its wired up but its there mainly for looks,

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The DiMarzio X2N is a very fine choice. If its high output you want, thats what your gonna get. You may also want to try the Bill Lawrence XL-500, they are awesome too. I only use those 2 humbuckers now. I think 3 of them would be a bit OTT though, lol. Maybe something a bit mellower in there as well, like a Tone Zone or something.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the.godfather said:
I only use those 2 humbuckers now. I think 3 of them would be a bit OTT though, lol. Maybe something a bit mellower in there as well, like a Tone Zone or something.
Well that's what i'm after, OTT, I suppose it's no differant to a boy racer getting 20" wheels and full body kit on 1.0 corsa, i'll be the boy racer of guitars, lol.
Those pctures of the models your modded Ibanez are so cool Jimmy, that's what i'm after!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Well if you love OTT, you will love the X2N, I do. Its defenitely my favourite pickup. Its just so damn shrill and high output its stupid. Really good for those real Dimebag moments!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts