Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doesn't apply to just jems, uv's but I was wondering which neck you think is the flattest?
There is lots of talk of which neck is the thinnest, but which one is the flattest, as flat as an ironed pancake.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Won't be buying an acoustic any time soon, but hell I'll investigate these here vigers.

Any more?

While we're here, flattest, jp6 or jem?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is the radius refering to the back of the neck or the fingerboard?
Cos I've been on about the fingerboard lol.
I remember the JPM being super flat.
sorry, posted just before i could see this post. answer is- Radius almost always refers to fretboard flatness

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooh, see that's helpfull.
So the JS fretboards are insanely flat? And as I remember, the JPM is flatter than a Jem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See that means nothing to me lol.
I checked the specs on here and all i can tell is the jem/uv radius is 430mm and the js 240mm.
How this related to the flatness I'm a little unsure of.
Oh and the Viper (jpm) neck is 305mm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Realy? That's bizarre, could someone explain how that works?
In that case 430mm (jem, uv) is the flattest Ibanez do.
Now I'm confused because it was previously mentioned that vigier do 0 radius necks, making them the flattest.
Sorry I'm not to in touch with technical aspects, I just know what I like :)

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
OK, heres my understanding of it, please excuse the huge pic..oh, and this is so not to scale or anything...oh, and compound means it changes shape, so it could be flatter at the nut and gradually get rounder to the 24th fret, or something like that..0 Radius simply means no radius, because a circle with a radius of 0 means the circle does not exist.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol, thanks man. So the wider the radius, the flatter that circle becomes and the flatter the fingerboard, i figure at least.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This helps narrow the choice of my next guitar a ton! I love flat necks :)
Seems that the Jems 430mm radius (16.93 inches) is flatter than the ernie ball jp6 radius of 15 inches, another guitar I was considering buying.
All I need now is for Ibanez to bring back ebony fingerboards and I'll be in heaven.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts