Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  amanvai 
#1 ·
Hey everyone this is about the Fernandes sustainer, but the reason that I'm posting a new entry rather than searching is because its regarding a specific combination in terms of my guitar.

I have a Jem 555 that I had customised to play like a Jem 7, which means the neck was shaped exactly like a Jem 7, and since I had a great Jem 555 piece any way, which I know isn't common, it plays awesome, and to be really honest it plays better than the 3-4 Jem 7's that i've tried. I'm serious.

Now my aunt got me a Fernandes sustainer for my birthday, and I can't sell it. I was wondering if its an ok idea to have it installed. I just love its tone and I love the features and even the sustainers tone when its a pickup. People say that it affects tone because you're taking away a lot of wood. I need to know how much. How much is it really affected? I think this tone could use a little tweaking any way which means altering the tone a little seems ok to me. Also if its Basswood, doesn't it mean there's more mass to the body, which means its affected less?

Thanks a lot.

#3 ·
Thanks for the offer, but even if you were serious I can't sell it, its not an option. I'd really appreciate some feedback and opinions because I'm leaving for university soon and I need time after its installed to try it out and check it and maybe go and get it fixed if anything isn't right.

#4 ·
amanvai said:
Hey everyone this is about the Fernandes sustainer, but the reason that I'm posting a new entry rather than searching is because its regarding a specific combination in terms of my guitar.

I have a Jem 555 that I had customised to play like a Jem 7, which means the neck was shaped exactly like a Jem 7, and since I had a great Jem 555 piece any way, which I know isn't common, it plays awesome, and to be really honest it plays better than the 3-4 Jem 7's that i've tried. I'm serious.

Now my aunt got me a Fernandes sustainer for my birthday, and I can't sell it. I was wondering if its an ok idea to have it installed. I just love its tone and I love the features and even the sustainers tone when its a pickup. People say that it affects tone because you're taking away a lot of wood. I need to know how much. How much is it really affected? I think this tone could use a little tweaking any way which means altering the tone a little seems ok to me. Also if its Basswood, doesn't it mean there's more mass to the body, which means its affected less?

Thanks a lot.
You will need to remove wood in order to get room for the battery. Try searching the forum a few people here have installed sustainers in their guitars and I don't think they have had problems with the tone afterwards.

Regards

André

#5 ·
Ok, thanks. I wouldn't be doing it myself anyway, Any possibilty that there are some diagrams out there? My tech doesn't do electronics that often but he said he can recommend the right person for the job, and a diagram to show them would be great. I basically want the exact set up Flo has.

#6 ·
amanvai said:
Ok, thanks. I wouldn't be doing it myself anyway, Any possibilty that there are some diagrams out there? My tech doesn't do electronics that often but he said he can recommend the right person for the job, and a diagram to show them would be great. I basically want the exact set up Flo has.
Isn't there a diagram included in the kit? Try the fernandes site.

Regards

André

#8 ·
Thats right man. I actually went to Kelvin without knowing anything, and he said that my guitar needed a refret and he did it. Ironically what worked out for me was that Kelvin didn't actually do a refret though he said he did, but I'm really thankful for that. I went to Malcolm and he gave me a guitar as great as Steve Vai's. Hey, aren't you the guy that was going to play with Andrew? I was playing with that band, but I'm leaving. Aphrodisiac is the name, I know because I came up with it. Well, it was a song I'd done and a friend thought it would be a cool name.

Anyway, I've already got the sustainer coming in any day now.:D

Thanks, and any more feedback is always appreciated.:D

#9 ·
Hey there amanvai, yeah, thats me... I couldn't join because of my gf. :(

In anycase, i heard the story from malcom, ugh, GC is something eh? They cut heads if you don't know your stuff. Tried to pull one on me before.

In anycase, hope your axe truely rocks.

OH YEAH!
Can I purchase the Evo neck from you? Since you will be putting the Sustainer in? Pls pm me if you are doing so! :)

#12 ·
Ok, I knew about the batteries but I didn't know that there would be no sound. Wouldn't it jsut turn the sustainer off? Any way thats a smaller concern but the main thing is whether it'll really affect the guitar a lot, because i do know a lot of wood has to be removed. Doesn't it make a difference that its a basswood body I mean Steve Vai's is the same thing. I like Flo's tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.