Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, how exaclty are the swirls and the BFP/FP patterns done. I heard that the flower pattern in just fabric. Well if it is then how do you get it smooth? Im just ondering this is because i have shop next term.
and im building my own guitar.
J

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Floral paterns and swirls.

The florals are just that, fabric, I believe the later ones were a decal that was then cleared over. The fabric covered guitars require lots of clear coat and lots of sanding to make them nice and smooth. Ibanez probably actually uses some type of epoxy resin to fill the fabric weave and then clears it.
As for the swirls, you have 2 options, spend countless hours experimenting with paints and techniques and spend lots of money on paint trying to figure it out (this is how I'm doing it, so far I'm getting decent results) or the smart way is to take all the money you would spend experimenting and all the time you would use, and send your body to Darren at ATD. You won't learn how to do it yourself, but you won't be dissapointed either. I don't have one of his swirls yet, but I've seen a number of them and they are amazing. The only reason I am trying the swirls myself, is I fly radio controlled jets and want my latest jet swirled. Darren quoted me an excellent price to swirl it, but the cost of shipping from Canada is more than the cost of the swirl so now I'm driving myself crazy doing it.
One other word on swirls. It is a lot of work to do the swirls if you are only wanting to do one I've found. Unless you are doing a weird project like my jet and don't want to pay the shipping cost, or you just want to figure it out for your own personal satisfaction, it isn't worth the hassels. This jet project is turning out to be bigger than I expected, and Darren warned me about that when I first talked to him but would I listen, NOOOOO.
So anyway, I would love to see Darrens facility first hand, but since I can't afford the shipping to send my jet to him, I doubt I'll get down there anytime soon.
My recommendation is just build your body as you want, and if you want a swirl, send it to Darren. He will do it awesome I'm sure.
Jeremy

·
Registered
979 Posts

On the Material Bodys I use to use a ton of sanding sealer..........

Then I switched to just plain clear resin.....messy messy messy and takes forever to dry.....

Today I can tell you that a clear grain sealer is about the best way to build up and smooth out the material for finishing......drys fast and is easily sandable.....

·
Registered
979 Posts

P.S. Mojo stuff like this really should be asked in the Tech,Set-up and Repair section.......

No worries I see your new.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts