Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you haven't done it already, I highly recommend upgrading your tone block. I installed one today, and I'm amazed at how big a difference it made! It not only made a big difference in the sustaine, it also made the tone a lot more.... punchy, and sharp sounding. I've been debating on doing this upgrade for awhile. So, when I found the Floyd Rose Fat Brass on ebay for $35 (I think that's what I paid), I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try. I'm really glad I did! Custom wiring harness from 920D, going in tomorrow.

For those of you with a Jem Jr. I put a 37mm in my Jem Jr Sp and it dropped in nicely

While I had it all apart, I went ahead and did a complete setup (neck, bridge, and pickup height adjustment), and fret leveling and polish. The frets on this JEMJRSP were horrible. Brought the action down a lot and got rid of the fret buzz. She plays a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Because they don't care to use them...? Not everyones ear is the same, and a "tone God" is relative. I think Eddie Van Halen has a better tone than any of the ones you listed and If you do research on him... He has done of the most off the wall crazy weird **** in search of a better tone. Better to HIM. Tone is relative. I like my brass block in my 1988 540R... Liked it a lot more than the original block. But that could just be the placebo effect... Or the difference it made relative to what the difference was before. And if you don't care to buy one... Then don't 😄. Either way... It a subtle change. And to some baby steps in tone go a long way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Because they don't care to use them...? Not everyones ear is the same, and a "tone God" is relative. I think Eddie Van Halen has a better tone than any of the ones you listed and If you do research on him... He has done of the most off the wall crazy weird **** in search of a better tone. Better to HIM. Tone is relative. I like my brass block in my 1988 540R... Liked it a lot more than the original block. But that could just be the placebo effect... Or the difference it made relative to what the difference was before. And if you don't care to buy one... Then don't 😄. Either way... It a subtle change. And to some baby steps in tone go a long way.
is mostly a gimmick pushed by paid youtube reviewers and the companies that sell them, is a shiny gold like block, and in America everything bigger is better

it "changes" the tone, but doesn't make it better or give more sustain

most pros don't use them because they know is a gimmick just like the noiseless springs

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Again tone is relative... Meaning it's different for everyone. Just like the RG you just bought that you like better than your 550... You might like it better, that doesn't make it better in general. It makes it better for you. In the end, as long as the person gets something positive from the mod who is to say they are wrong for liking or enjoying the difference?

And why does it matter to you (or does it?) That when ever this subject comes up that people must agree that brass blocks are a myth? And like you just said earlier today in Your RG thread, you don't particularly care for the Evo pickups, does that make Vai's pickups not good pickups? Because Vai uses them thats what makes them good? So if Vai used a brass block it would deem it a worthy mod? No that's completely devoid of logic. It means you as a person like what you like.... Because you like it. That's all. And just because some famous guy uses it doesn't make it better, it makes it more marketable... But really that's it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if they are so great and life changing, how come neither Vai, Satraini, Paul Gilbert, Malmsteem, Petrucci and so many other tone freak gods don't use them?
Well, let's see... could it be that they're playing $5k guitars that already have a good tone block, and not the ****ty little steel block that comes on a Jem Jr.? Hmmm🤔

Add a $25 block to a $5k guitar and you probably won't notice. Hell it might sound worse. Add it to a $500 guitar and you'll see a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is mostly a gimmick pushed by paid youtube reviewers and the companies that sell them, is a shiny gold like block, and in America everything bigger is better

it "changes" the tone, but doesn't make it better or give more sustain

most pros don't use them because they know is a gimmick just like the noiseless springs
I'm sorry, I must have missed you? I mean, you know how my guitar sounded before and after installing the tone block, so obviously you were there somewhere, right?

Lol.. where's the block button in this forum 🤦

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet that Fowleri guy is a real joy to hang out with lol. One of those guys that has a problem for every solution. As my mother says... "he's the type of guy that would complain if you hung him with a new rope". Lol

Edit: apparently there is no block option? I found the ignore option though, and threw captain cheerful in the iggy bin.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Well, let's see... could it be that they're playing $5k guitars that already have a good tone block, and not the ****ty little steel block that comes on a Jem Jr.? Hmmm🤔

Add a $25 block to a $5k guitar and you probably won't notice. Hell it might sound worse. Add it to a $500 guitar and you'll see a difference.
What would make the most difference in improving the Jr is not a block, you have replace the whole neck.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
While all of that is true Fowleri, they do have world class techs who set up their guitars. And a Jem Jr may have been $800 new but they are pretty cheap used. Some people (myself Included) buy cheap guitars and mod them into something much nicer because we enjoy it. I have a js100 that I modded that plays just as good as my 1991 prestige. And in total I spent $750. I bought it as a body and neck with hardware on the headstock, sold the neck, got a new neck made from warmoth... Bought all the electronics I wanted and hardware. Polished that bad boy up and put it together. The thing is awesome! There's no wrong way to do it man. Just be happy he's happy. Just like us guys around here are happy that you love your new RG. Personally I hate those guitars... But you don't and you love it. And that's what matters. And for a $25 part... That's pretty cheap to experiment with. If it's no different than oh well it was a $25 part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put captain cheerful McKnowitall on ignore, so I can't see what he's saying. But, if he's saying that my Jem Jr was 800 new, he's wrong. They're 500 brand new. Wth? I thought he knew all about my guitar? 🤔

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.