Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my old Jackson DK2 big time making all hardware black (from chrome), which also includes changing out the licensed floyd to an original one. I will also change out the very very noizy duncan designed single coils for more decent ones (any suggestions here?). I have a good sounding Duncan distortion in bridge. Well enough of my babbeling..

The reason for my post is that I need to change out the stud posts from my licensed floyd to original FR stud posts (OFR studs won't fit the licensed stud posts). I don't know how to loosen the old stud posts without using brute force and ****ing something up:p Have anyone done this before? Would really appreciate some help here.

And the ones that wonder..I wont use the licensed studs because they are chrome and ****s up the whole evil guitar theme:)

I may be able to get some pictures posted by tomorrow if I find out how:p

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That link was very helpful. I have now removed the posts successfully:D thanks, now if anyone would help me on my other post I would be even more happy:p

·
Registered
787 Posts
What's the problem? First off, is the spacing the same for the new posts as compared to the old ones? I will assume that the spacing is the same If the new posts are larger than the old ones, the trick is to enlarge the old holes without veering off away from perfect center. The solution requires a drill press and some patience. Place the body on the press and find a drill bit that fits the old hole perfectly, chuck it into the drill and (with the drill power off) lower the bit into the original hole. Without raising the bit, clamp the body in place(I use a towel on the drill press table and a rubber coated clamp). Once the body is not going to move, raise the press and install the drill bit for the new size hole and drill(the new bit should be exactly centered on the original hole). You need to be careful to drill to the correct depth and not go too deep(or out the back!!). Now start over and repeat all for the other hole. The best bits for this are either brad point or Forstner bits(which drill a flat bottom hole).

Now if the old holes are too big, you need to fill them(glue in hardwood dowel and route flush) and re-drill.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for that. The holes were a bit too small so I tried to sand them down from inside, but did a sloppy job:( so now I have to refill the holes.. so any hard wood glue will do the trick? what about epoxy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts