Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a job and moved from Sweden to London. I didn't bring any of my guitars with me thinking I was going to make it without one.

What was I thinking??! I just bought a used guitar rig 2 so the only thing I need is one of my guitars.

So.. my girlfriend is coming over from Sweden next weekend, and I thought that she could bring one.

Is it safe to check in a hardcase with your guitar? Maybe put a lock on it?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would try to avoid having them put it on the plane as luggage, I did that once on a trip from the USA to France then to Israel. When I landed in the Charles de Gaulle airport in France, the case of my guitar was dented badly, luckily the guitar was fine.

You could try having your girlfriend bring it as a carry on. Tell her to tell the people working at the airport that it's an expensive and precious guitar, and tell her to ask them if she could bring it on the plane as a carry on.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you are flying Ryanair, Easyjet, or another of those budget airlines, I would recommend you pay the money to ship it and insure it.

In general, your girlfriend can attempt to carry it on, but her success will depend on how much room there is in the overhead bins. On many aircraft, the cased guitar will fit in the overhead, but if the flight is crowded, the attendants will make you check it.

If you have a good hard case, it ought to be alright, but of course there's no guarantee. I have carried on a full-size dreadnought case successfully and I have also checked a cased dreadnought with no problems. But other folks I have heard from have suffered damage to their guitars after checking them.

Peace

Good luck

Mike

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
She's not flying on a budget airline. Is a j-craft case sturdy enough you think?
Then I'd ask her to walk it on to the aircraft and if it won't fit in the overhead bins, she can do something called "gate-checking." When somebody tries to take a baby stroller or some other big item on board, they sometimes are asked to check it planeside. Then you can pick it up immediately afterwards at the arrival gate rather than having to retrieve it at the baggage area. Less chance for damage that way.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I brought a Jem 7DBK with me from Las Vegas, NV to Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait in 2002 through 2003. I brought it as carry-on, and only in a gig bag. Didn't get a scratch on it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Don't let them stow it. Just beg and be strong and make sure you can take it on board. The J-craft case should fit in the overhead. Mine did from Tokyo to LA and from Tokyo to Nagoya on a small plane too. They'll pretend it puts them out but it actually doesn't.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My girlfriend was afraid that the guitar was going to be damaged while it was in her hands. And come to think of it, I would hate for that to happen, for the guitar's sake but more importantly for her peace of mind's sake.

So I found another solution... I bought a 1999 Ibanez Jem7vwh instead! =D

Will post some pics in the Jem section soon! I'm very happy with this desperate solution! ;)

*Edit: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/new-old-guitar-day-jem7vwh-89515.html#post914872

1 - 11 of 11 Posts