Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a 2-button footswitch(with LED's) for my Peavey Valveking because I didn't want to fork over $45 for the real deal. One button does channel select and the other button engages the gain boost on the amp. I used the aluminum project box from radio shack.The buttons and LED's are attached to the top part of the box and a 1/4" stereo jack is attached to the bottom part of the box.

Here's where it gets screwy: when the box is assembled, both buttons act as the channel select. when the box is disassembled, the switches are fully functional. Here's the schematic I used:

I checked for pinched/crossed leads and all my solder joints are kosher. Is having the stereo jack attached to the case shorting something out? I'm only using the stereo jack because I want to use a right-angle cable so it fits on my pedal board. Is there a way around this or should I cut my losses and hardwire the cable into the pedal?

This is the inside view of the footswitch

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
It sounds to me like the 1/4 jack is getting grounded when you put the lid on the box.
Use a non metallic washer on the jack on both sides .
One on the inside and one on the outside before you put the nut on the jack.
This may isolate it from making the connection.
If it still does it, try to use some electrical tape to insulate it wherever it touches the case.
A lot of factory gear will have plastic jacks with plastic washers and nuts to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds to me like the 1/4 jack is getting grounded when you put the lid on the box.
Use a non metallic washer on the jack on both sides .
One on the inside and one on the outside before you put the nut on the jack.
This may isolate it from making the connection.
If it still does it, try to use some electrical tape to insulate it wherever it touches the case.
A lot of factory gear will have plastic jacks with plastic washers and nuts to avoid this problem.
I managed to dig up some plastic washers and lo and behold, it works! Thanks a bunch!

Funny part is that I considered using a smaller, plastic project box but decided on this one because I figured the plastic box wouldn't be able to take the abuse and I wanted a little more room to dress it up a little. :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts