Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swung by the Carvin site to see what's new. I looked in their guitar parts & kits section, and what i found made my jaw drop:

The NT7 Seven string through-body neck

These eastern hardrock maple necks are for through-the-body construction making it relatively easy for an experienced wood worker to build a quality guitar. All Carvin necks come as shown with a 24 fret ebony fingerboard, an eleven degree headstock angle, graphite nut and dot inlays on the top and side. 15 radius fingerboard. 2-way adjustable truss rod / two reinforcement bars come standard. 25.5" scale length
1.9" wide at the nut
2.6" wide at 24th fret.

I know you can order some custom options on bolt-on Carvin necks (i ordered one with no face dots), so they may offer similar options for the through-body necks. You could use this as a basis for a really sweet custom neck-thru 7-string!

I'm going to email them right now to see if they'd do a neck in Mahogany!

[edited: None of the stock emoticons seemed to capture what i was trying to express, so i made my own. Enjoy!]

·
Registered
599 Posts
yeah, I just was looking at that, and am probably going to use it on a future guitar. I've ordered a bolt-on six for my current (first) project. Those guys rock! :mrgreen:

Not only that... they've also got great customer service.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's a good deal, lots of companies offer similar.
Stewmac have one but it's 25" scale and slightly more expensive (although they do give you a paddle headstock so you can design your own)
I just wish they would all leave their fretboards dotless.

I think this is a reasonably good deal
http://www.warmoth.com/thrift/wgp_neck_detail.asp?itemNumber=mn269
Has a 10-16 compound radius, but the heel is a little bit of a disaster that needs some work.

Steve

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The StewMac ones are just 6-string versions, aren't they? Carvin offers both a 6 and a 7.

Those Yamaha necks from Warmoth were just project necks, probably to test different profiles. They say (or used to say) that they will not fit anything.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sorry Darren you're correct, didn't clock the "7" bit.

The Yam Proj. necks are just that though, they won't fit any production bodies, but you can design around them easily enough.
The heel can be extended to run under a bodies neck pup, a'la Gibson SG, LP Special, certain PRS's etc.. (the "designing around" would be making a body to accept it, but that's why they are project necks, plus it would then have to be a set-neck, so after all this I'm actually convincing myself it's not that good a deal) :lol:
We have a dealer over here that offers project necks but they are much better prepared and come in 3 varieties, Carved and trussed (£39), Carved trussed and with a f/board (£49) and Carved, trussed, f/board and fretted + paddle headstock with 6-in-line holes drilled (£59), the problem with the latter is 21 frets.

Steve

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't trust one of those Yamaha necks from Warmoth... it doesn't look like they've left any kind of heel on there at all.

Extending it so it bolts on underneath the neck pickup wouldn't be strong enough, in my opinion. You'd have to do a significant amount of material removal and graft on a big heel with a nice dovetail joint to make it work. Probably not worth the effort, considering how reasonably priced the Carvin necks are.

I have a Carvin Bolt neck for a project guitar i'm working on, and it's a really solid piece of work. 1 piece of maple with a sweet ebony board, tilt back headstock with a nice little volute behind the nut. Smooth as silk. And it's got two graphite rods in it, so it's probably stable as a rock as well. It's the best value out there in replacement necks, in my opinion.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you were gonna' extend that Yamaha neck you wouldn't be able to convincingly bolt it anyway, you'd have to set it.

How much did the Carvin cost ya'? (if you don't mind)

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts