1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Wow! I wonder how big it is in comparison to Sue. There's a Sue copy outside the Dinosaur ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom and I always stare at it for a while. She was a 28 year old female estimated to weigh 10 tons.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I wonder how big it is in comparison to Sue. There's a Sue copy outside the Dinosaur ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom and I always stare at it for a while. She was a 28 year old female estimated to weigh 10 tons.
They are about the same size with Sue being slightly longer and slightly more complete. Apparently, measuring incomplete dinosaur skeletons is tricky. This webpage has a 1 minute time-lapse of Stan being assembled which provides a nice perspective of how big Stan is compared to humans.

https://www.christies.com/features/...rex-excavated-in-1992-10872-7.aspx?sc_lang=en

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I like how Sue is placed outside at AK as if she's coming out of the surrounding trees. It really gives you a sense of her scale and what she might look like coming after prey. (I don't exactly agree with Jack Horner's assessment that they were solely scavengers. I think Rex's caloric requirements meant they got food wherever they could find it - alive or dead.)

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Christies had the sale estimate for "Stan" at $6,000,000 - $8,000,000...Stan sold for $31,847,500. 8O This raises a lot of questions for me about how estimates are determined and the strategies involved. Maybe another time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.