Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Wow. That is heavy and great playing. Cool tune. Great tone too! Actually I had an RG 450 DX that i replaced the pickups with a white Fred humbucker and it didn't sound too good. I think it's the cheap wood of the guitar to be honest. I've heard the Fred before which baffled me why it didn't sound good in this guitar. It sounds good in that guitar playing though! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
FRED is becoming one of my faves. I use it in the bridge position. Great for both rhythm, and lead. For leads it's got this warm neck pickup type tone, with a screaming lead tone mixed in. Notes just seem to want to sustain. Don't know how to describe it really, but I like it.

I guess most don't think of it as a "metal" type of pickup because it's so closely associated to Joe Satriani.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not my playing... it was someone else on the seymour duncan forum. :lol: no joke. I just posted it as an example because people were like "Fred's suck for metal... get EMG's or a Tone Zone blah blah blah". So I posted it in case someone wanted to listen for themselves what these pup's can really do.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I tend to use non typically metal pickups for metal myself. I find that "metal" pickups almost always lack midrange entirely or lack everything else and have a real harsh midrange.

I use Evos and PAFs and G&L single coils for everything.

That's not bad. I think a little amp EQing could improve it more (or maybe it doesnt need it and it's just the cheapest sound system known to man which I have going now)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.