Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I like the PIA since I saw Onyx on Steve’s hands last Saturday. But I prefer Mirror Ball or Bruno for the look of it. Oddly enough Steve played 70% of the show on Jems or Universes, 20% on PIAs and 10% on the Custom Strat Jem and the John Scotfield sig more or less. I think that the 58 mm wide at the 24th has something to do with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Would Vanta even work on a guitar? I thought it was a like a powder coating that would easily rub off? If you clear-coat it for protection, that'll increase reflectivity substantially. Aside from gimmicky uses (e.g., YT vids), maybe it's just industrial/scientific applications?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would Vanta even work on a guitar? I thought it was a like a powder coating that would easily rub off? If you clear-coat it for protection, that'll increase reflectivity substantially. Aside from gimmicky uses (e.g., YT vids), maybe it's just industrial/scientific applications?
As far as I know, you are correct. It's dark because of how matte it is. Even if it didn't rub of from contact (and I think it would), the oil from your skin would change the appearance. The matte guitars I've seen have the same issue. They're always shiny in the spots where your arm touches them, usually rubbed down to the black undercoat.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the difference between this LACS model and the production Onyx Black model?
In this case, it's a 7 string - so there's no production model.

In general, there are three kinds of LACS guitars:
  • Build from scratch: one-offs, new prototypes, or special builds
  • Guitars build with Fujigen made parts, such as a custom painted body but otherwise factory materials (neck etc).
  • Modified / customized guitars. This happens with Steve quite often where a factory guitar is modded (Backstop and sustainer added & scalloped).

·
Registered
254 Posts
In this case, it's a 7 string - so there's no production model.

In general, there are three kinds of LACS guitars:
  • Build from scratch: one-offs, new prototypes, or special builds
  • Guitars build with Fujigen made parts, such as a custom painted body but otherwise factory materials (neck etc).
  • Modified / customized guitars. This happens with Steve quite often where a factory guitar is modded (Backstop and sustainer added & scalloped).
I meant the standard 6-string PIA in 'Onyx Black'. I knew I must be overlooking something, but didn't expect it to be as obvious as "it has 7 strings" haha! 🙈

EDIT: And now I've read the thread title properly. :rolleyes:
@Jeroenn

·
Registered
254 Posts
So most of Steve's PIA's will fall under the third category (factory guitars that have been customised). Some are the second one (color samples for example).
There are only two PIA's with a LACS serial, this 7 string and one of the Bonillain swirls.
This is my favourite. I believe it started its life as a white PIA prototype.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts