Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking for something to be able to record guitar on at my apartment. I will only need to record one instrument at a time is my initial thought (cant decide if I want to spend more so that the band could do demos on our own) but want to be able to layer up 2 or 3 guitars. Both instrument (1/4") and XLR inputs are desired.

Ive used a pod, and a j station and neither of them worked very well since everything was being done on my laptop (which doesnt have a great sound card). very noisy and just overall not happy with it.

This little Fostex MR8 MKII 8 Track Digital Recorded has caught my eye. For just over $200 it has flash memory which is great and has two XLR inputs as well as instrument cable inputs. It can record 2 tracks at the same time, and doesnt seem to even need to utilize 'bouncing' to record 3 or 4 layered tracks. You can also punch in and out. It has solid 'ease of use' ratings too from what I can see. And I mainly like that it is getting recorded and mixed and even "lite" mastering right within the unit as opposed to on my laptop. All in all it sounds like it would be great from what Ive seen.

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.***************.com/product/Fostex-MR8-mkII-8Track-Digital-Recorder?sku=240343

replace the *** with your favorite "musiciansenemy" site ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill take any knowledge on any of their older mr8 models too as their reliability and general feel might carry over to this. I know its a bit expensive just to use for writing purposes, but like I said, anything that has used my soundcard to record has sounded pretty bad, so I am weary of trying something like a toneport that would also use my soundcard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts